Chapter Eighteen: The Plan

Start from the beginning

"Would you rather we stayed safe in the outskirts of Rhûn while you four are executed, or risk a little disturbance in the city and save your skin?"

Robin rolled his eyes. "By all means, kill an Easterling for your captured Gondorian King and risk the two kingdoms going to war. If I live long enough to see it, I'm sure it would be very entertaining to watch."

The ellon's face fell a little. Thralor scowled even deeper.

"There will be no public actions and no cause for war," Aragorn said. "If something goes wrong and we're caught, Legolas knows what to do. But that's only if something goes wrong." He gave Robin a long, hard look. "If the plan is followed, nothing is going to."

"As long as you don't take your pretty sword and leave me behind."

"It is tempting," Elanor mumbled.

Robin shot her a smirk and a wink. "But you won't."

"No," Aragorn said. "We won't."

He sounded sincere enough. Robin still couldn't believe they'd made it so far-- he had almost expected he would have been long gone by now. But he just had to go through with the rest of the events, now. Once that was over with, he'd be free and maybe even a little richer. 

He'd seen from his last visit that the Easterlings had a fine amount of gold spilling out each hallway-- this time, he wasn't going to leave with only ten thousand.

But he kept that part to himself.

"Then it's well and decided," Elladan nodded, glancing around. 

"Well and decided," Thralor mumbled, standing up lumbering away. "Well and decided. I should have stayed back in Erebor."

Robin wished he would have.

Gwath crouched in the trees, watching the group with narrowed eyes

Gwath crouched in the trees, watching the group with narrowed eyes. Behind him, a group of seven wolves growled and paced.

Rolling his shoulders back, he stretched his neck. It was never easy to change between forms, especially not back and forth. His neck and shoulders ached-- part of him fought a bloodlust while the other part was still not used to his weaker human senses.

They all nine sat around a blazing fire, arguing back and forth. Gwath was surprised they'd survived together for so long.

They were like a pack of animals.

Growling lowly, he slunk back into the cover of the trees, shaking his head-- as if it would help the buzzing in his ears. 

Each pair of wolf eyes turned in his direction as he approached, shining with the thirst for a good fight.

"Not yet," Gwath growled, allowing himself to change back into the animalistic form. It felt good to flex his claws. "We wait for orders."

The plan had been to never let the group of nine companions even enter the marshes. But when they had, Gwath had expected they would never escape. Few did.