Chapter Twelve: Frenemies and Enemies

Robin took a joy in throwing apples from his chamber's window, then ducking away before the soldiers below could see his face.

With nothing else to do, it was mildly entertaining.

But after asking one of the servants for a third helping of apples, Elanor had shown up at his room, green eyes unimpressed and a brow arched.

"I heard you're wasting good food."

Robin narrowed his eyes, grabbing one of the remaining three apples and tossing it over his head, straight out the window. "That depends on your definition of wasting."

Elanor's eyes darkened and she reached for the last two apples, but not before Robin got his hands on one. Clutching it to his chest, he frowned at the one she held.

"Ai, love, that's mine."

Elanor blinked, then smirked, throwing it up in the air and catching it smoothly. "Really? Cause it seems to be in my hands."

Robin blinked, then narrowed his eyes. "Wanna test that?"

Elanor's smirk widened and she offered the apple forward-- then yanked back, taking a large bite out of the side. Chewing slowly and swallowing, she shrugged. "Go for it."

Robin stared at her for a moment, his mind whirling with a million curses. But then he simply shrugged, plopping onto his bed and taking a bite out of his own apple. "Now it's got cooties."

Elanor's lips pursed. "Cooties?"

"Infected. Orc germs. Sauron's bad breath." Robin raised a brow, then shook his head. "Never mind. You people are impossible."

Elanor stared at him for a minute, then blinked. Taking another bite out of her apple, she leaned against the door. "It's past midnight. Do you not sleep?"

Robin tilted his head, so his ears could be seen, then shrugged. "No, darling, I don't. Nighttime is the best time to wreak havoc."

The girl didn't look impressed, pulling her green cloak tighter around her arms. Robin half expected her to leave, but instead, she slid to the floor, tilting her head against the doorframe.

"What, do you not sleep?" He slid off the bed, sitting opposite of her. "I thought beauty sleep would be your kind of thing. Not that you'd..." He trailed off, biting on his tongue and cursing loudly inside his head. "Never mind."

Elanor's eye suddenly twitched. "Finish that sentence?"

Good Mordor, Robin forced his face to go blank, staring her down with a deadpan expression. "What sentence?"

She stared, then shook her head, throwing her core at where he sat. Robin cursed, ducking to the side and it landed on his bed.

"Ai!" He glared at the girl. "Cooties!"

Elanor simply shrugged, a small grin tugging at her lips. "Oops."

"I'll show you an 'oops,'" Robin grumbled, using his toe to push the core to the floor, then kicking it under the bed. "I swear, women these days."

"You seem to do a lot of swearing these days."

Robin arched a brow. "No, love, I do a lot of swearing every day. It's a healthy exercise for the mind."

Elanor scoffed. In the night, her green eyes danced with amusement-- it was a different side than Robin often saw the Ranger. Usually, she just looked irritated at his existence.

Robin's mind momentarily flashed back to their meeting in the great hall. "So, whose exactly is this Aria? She seems..."

"Different," Elanor stated plainly. "Don't mess with her."