Chapter Sixteen: On the Verge

Robin was starting to regret not saving any pipeweed.

Grey smoke turned to breaths of cold air as the temperature dropped and the moon rose high into the sky. From where he leaned against an old pine, he could make out Elanor's silhouette in the orange firelight.

"Aye, love."

The Ranger's head lifted, cloaked and eyes hidden from sight. "What, Hood?" Her voice was filled with exhaustion, but she was most certainly still awake.

Robin huffed, burrowing deeper into his own cloak. "Nothing. Just wanted to make sure you weren't winking out on me."

From the noise she made, he imagined she was rolling her eyes. Despite himself, he grinned, stuffing his pipe back into his pack and scooting away from the tree. The fire was much warmer than his spot had been, and he could faintly make out emerald eyes as he scooched closer. 

"I'm bored."

Green eyes looked unimpressed. "Congratulations."

Tilting his head, Robin met her gaze squarely. Leaning forward a little, he wrapped his arms around his legs, pulling them into his chest. "I have a question."

She gazed stoically back at him.

Robin took that as cue to keep taking, despite himself. "Now, don't take this the wrong way or anything, but why are you here?"

Elanor's stare blinked. Confusion filled her eyes, followed by a slight irritation. "What?"

"I get that you are pals with the companions and all, but why are you here? You didn't trek across Middle Earth to destroy a Ring like the others, and you owe the king no favors. So why are you here, risking your life, for a simple sword?"

For a moment, silence was his answer. Then the girl leaned forward, tilting her head as her gaze met his. "I really don't understand you, Hood."

Robin snorted. "Me?"

Elanor's green eyes flashed and she leaned back, tugging her sleeves further down her arms. The breeze had picked up and even with the fire, the air was crisp and cold. "Have you never befriended someone who you would risk your life for?"

"Risk my...?" Robin broke off with a laugh, shaking his head. "Risk my life? I mean, if I came across a soul better looking than myself, maybe. Such perfection could never go to waste."

"Valar," Elanor rolled her eyes at his words. 

"You're right," Robin nodded, tilting a grinning brow. "I might for the Valar. Get myself high in their ranks, you know? Just in case."

She only shook her head, sitting back. Somewhere in the ground, a loud snore broke the silence; from the very long past few weeks, Robin placed it as Thralor's in a second. He was actually like his brother in that sense, except, also like reality, the bald dwarf beat Gimli's snores by at least three octaves.

"I'm still bored," Robin mumbled, glaring at the fire. He hadn't bothered to keep track of the time that had passed but hoped it wouldn't be much longer. It had been at least three solid days since he'd gotten rest that wasn't induced by injuries, and he was ready to sleep like a baby.

"I still don't care."

"Ouch," Robin pressed a hand against his chest. "Do you truly dislike me so, Lady Elanor? I fear I will never be content if I cannot make you care."

She looked up again, and this time he swore he caught a glimmer of a smile flash across her lips. But in the darkness, it was hard to tell. "If I pretend to care, will you keep it down?"