didn't you miss me, lace?

**UPDATE 12/27/21: Man, I remember y'all haaaaaating on Lacey in this chapter, but... by the end of it?? 😭

♚ ♛

BY THE TIME THE next train came barreling up the track in the opposite direction, I was tucked behind the restricted sign at the edge of the station. Two bright headlights cut through the darkness; the wind whipped my hair around my face. Frustrated, I caught the loose strands and pressed myself further into the wall.

I knew he'd come back. I just had to stay hidden.

So here I was, edging too far into the subway tunnel, waiting for him to climb off.

And he did.

I caught the flash of his red shirt and dark jeans immediately. A low rumble shook the station as the train pulled away and then Adrian was whirling around frantically.

Running his hands through his hair, looking up and down both sides of the empty platform, Adrian let out a string of explicit Spanish. I couldn't bite back a grin. I didn't need to translate to know how pissed off he was at me. Adrian slid a hand into his pocket, rattled through the turnstile and out of my view.

My heart jumped with the victory, and I listened patiently for his fading footsteps. As soon as I heard the first kick of his foot against the stairs, I inched out of the dank corner of the tunnel.

The first step echoed around me.

"Shit," I muttered, glancing down at my short heels. I grimaced at the mere thought of stepping through the dirty subway station barefoot, but I couldn't let him hear me.

So with two dark heels swaying in my hand, I hopped the turnstile silently, rounded the corner of the wall, and peered up the single staircase on this side of the track. All I could catch was a glimpse of a red bandanna hanging from his pocket before he slipped up to the street.

Gingerly, I tiptoed up the stairs, my eyes darting back and forth to avoid puddles and keep Adrian within my reach. Wherever he was going, I was going with.

When I made it to the sidewalk, he was already a good ten feet away at a steady pace. Warm, rough gravel dug into my heels as I kept my distance silently. Yet, I was close enough to hear him hiss. "La perdí. Sé, sé-"

He was cut off abruptly and I fumbled, hoping my footsteps were quiet enough.

Adrian came to a sudden halt at a crosswalk, looking both ways before he weaved through the slow traffic. I strode forward, almost jumping when he hissed angrily, "Tu chica está jodidamente loca. Todavía tengo su cuchillo. No tiene—"

Your girl.

Despite the way the familiar words made me grit my teeth, my heart soared. He was talking to Soren.

Silence reigned as he listened again. I could only imagine what Soren was slurring into his ear.

"¡Porque intentó cortarme!"

"Estás loco, cabrón."

"Sé, sé. Voy."

He jerked the phone away angrily and then he was a blur, shoving his hands into his pockets and ducking his head. "Jodida puta."

I almost laughed. Fucking bitch. Maybe. But I was a bitch that was outsmarting him.

It buzzed through my veins with that liberating victory again. This was what it felt like to be one step ahead. This was what it felt like to chase someone.