can't really watch your back when you can't see straight

♚ ♛

"SHIT, THIS GUY HAD NOTHING TO EAT," I grumbled, slamming the cabinet shut. All I'd found was old ramen, stale cereal, and a bottle of whiskey above the fridge.

Soft footsteps padded behind me, followed by a low chuckle. "Hey, respect the dead, princess."

A twinge of guilt shot through me. Fuck, his body was...still up there. "Did he have any family? Should we..."

I turned to catch his careless shrug. "I didn't know anything other than his name."

He probably had a family and friends; people who were wondering where he was; people who were calling him and reaching his voicemail repeatedly, worrying more and more every time he didn't pick up.

I knew how that felt.

Breathe.

"You're upset that he's dead or you're upset that you're the reason he's dead?" Soren asked, leaning across the counter with an invasive stare. How could he read me so well?

Anger flooded through me, and the words rolled off my tongue, "Of course I'm upset that he's dead! He didn't do anything."

As Soren tilted closer, smoke penetrated my senses, washing away the slight stench of mold in the apartment. "But..." His brows rose. "...are you more upset that you're the reason he's dead?"

I pushed my hair back and turned away from him with an eye roll. "You don't have to keep reminding me, Calloway. I know I fucked up."

In a split decision, my entire brain derailed. Maybe it was guilt, or maybe it was nerves, but the choppy movement sent me spiraling for the bottle of whiskey and the two packets of ramen. When I whirled around to face Soren, I set them down on the counter with a slam.

"No need to get upset, princess," he murmured, his eyes lit with amusement. "Just making sure your guilt isn't misplaced."

"Yeah, well maybe you should check to make sure you have any."

Soren didn't seem bothered by my jab. "He was no saint."

"Like you are?"

His lips curled up. "I never said I was."

"But you're still alive," I countered, raising a brow at him. "And he isn't."

"Don't keep reminding me." Soren watched my fingers crawl across the countertop before pinning me with another teasing look. "Or is it a warning? Will I be next?"

My heart sank, but I forced another nonchalant eye roll and twisted the cap off the bottle of whiskey. It was true. I left dead bodies in my wake.

As I took a small swig, Soren watched me intently. "What is it, Calloway?"

Backing off the counter, he shook his head silently.

"All he has is ramen and whiskey," I said, ducking down to look for a pot in the lower cabinet. "Not exactly royalty, but you'll live, right?"

The bitter edge in my voice didn't seem to bother him. When I straightened, I found that perfectly devious smirk still intact on his face; it sent my blood boiling with annoyance, and some fucked up satisfaction.

"I wish I could give you fine wine, princess."

I snorted. "You know I don't care."

He shrugged nonchalantly. "Doesn't mean you don't deserve it." With a wink, he turned away from me. "One day."

I rolled my eyes again but watched him retreat into the bedroom, where he'd been previously ransacking the dead man's belongings.

We got him killed, and now, we were going to steal his shit.