how do you bait a killer, lacey?

♚ ♛

WHAT? WHAT KIND OF double-spy-agent bullshit was he feeding me?

My fists clenched together. Closer, and closer, and closer, Soren dipped, as if he was about to kiss me. I shoved at his chest in frustration. "Stop fucking with me, Soren. What is it?"

With nothing but cold humor, Soren chuckled and retreated. "I really am tracking myself, Lacey. I have been for two years."

Breathe.

Too many things captured me in a whirlwind of anger and disbelief and complete confusion. I had so many new fucking questions. "Wh- Are you...Wha— Why would you do that?"

Soren tucked my hair back, his grin melting into a soft, sensual smile. "I've let them catch me so many times, princess. I've been documenting every place they find me."

All it took was once. They would catch Soren.

He was flirting with death, and if he happened to be too close to the edge, I didn't want to be anywhere near him. Somehow, I knew I'd end up in a body bag beside him.

Breathe.

Seth always told me to show no fear.

In. Out.

Soren didn't need to hide his fear because he didn't seem to have any. Soren was fearless.

Breathe.

"You've been leading them somewhere?"

Blinking past the rough waves of an ocean, Soren shook his head. "I've been letting them chase me. All these spots on the map..." When he turned me slowly to face the counter again, his hot breath billowed into the crook of my neck. "Every X on this map is where they've found me — seen me. Almost caught me. Where they expect me."

I watched silently. Tanned, rough fingers brushed over the map delicately; each vein at the top of his hand lead an intricate trail that could rival the gentle patterns he traced into the paper.

Breathe.

Soren Calloway was letting them hunt him.

"How..." I whispered, breathless, and amazed. "How are you still alive?"

There was no answer. As he brushed his lips against the shell of my ear, I didn't need to even see him. I could feel the dirty smirk on his face.

Even with this new information, I still didn't understand.

Biting into my bottom lip cautiously, my fists clenched again to keep them from shaking. "Why would you let them chase you? Why would you let them find you?"

This had to have something to do with his plan. It couldn't be the whole plan. I refused to believe that Soren was completely crazy, he had to have something more.

This couldn't be his whole plan. I refused to believe that Soren was completely crazy.

"Because, princess, if you don't let them chase you, they'll think they can get you."

"What?"

No matter how much I tried to convince myself, Soren continued to prove me wrong. He was dangerous, he was reckless, and he was fucking crazy.

Chuckling softly, Soren pressed a kiss beneath my ear. "You can't just hide from them, princess. You have to make them chase you. The closer they get, the more they want you."

Hell if I wanted them to want me. I wanted them to leave me alone.

"Whatever game you're playing, Soren..." I breathed. "It's dangerous. If they catch you, they will kill you."