we fight a lot, huh?

♚ ♛

"WELL, YOU'RE NOT VERY good at being comforting," I grumbled, turning away from him quickly.

I'd only made it two steps before Soren was on my heels. "Would it help if I told you..." his arms roped around my waist as his lips met my ear, "that I have your back?"

His words stopped me. Of course I knew that he had my back, but I needed to be able to take care of myself too. "You can't always have yours and mine, Soren. That's not fair."

Soren's teeth grazed along my earlobe lightly. "I'll take care of you, princesa. I told you. You're safe with me."

Turning in his tight grasp, I was nearly floored by the serious look in his eyes. The emotions that crashed through those eyes never ceased to amaze me. "Everyone is trying to kill you too."

Well, not everyone.

His eyes held mine, but he made no move to say anything else. "What is going on with Adrian? He saw us together and you didn't kill him."

"I should've." Soren snipped in bitter amusement. "I've wanted to kill him for years."

Rolling my eyes, I tried to pull back. "What is going on with him? What if he goes to Seth?"

"He won't."

His clipped answers were starting to piss me off. I wanted to know more. I needed to. "How do you know that? What is going on with them, Soren? What is going on with you?"

He deadpanned. "Nothing."

As straight as could be.

Short. Clipped. Sharp.

A master fucking liar.

"Soren." I tried to pin him with a glare.

"Lacey."

"Soren."

"Lacey."

"Soren!" I finally snapped, shoving at his chest angrily. Why was he lying to me?

His look only melted into a small grin as he clasped my hands and dragged them around his neck. Why was he like this? He got off on getting me angry?

"Laaaacey."

It was a teasing drawl, paired with a chaste kiss on my lips that nearly had me fuming.

Why? Why him? Why was he the one I ended up with?

"You are such an asshole." I was starting to feel like a record on repeat. How many times could I call him an asshole before it actually hurt him? Tearing my hands away from his neck and stomping to the bed, I hissed out, "Why can't you tell me?"

"Why can't you stop?" Soren droned lazily, stepping up behind me. Always following me. "Stop prying, stop asking questions, stop doing this."

Grinding my teeth together, I ignored the way his weight behind me already softened my anger. He was always there.

"Why, Soren? Just tell me why."

"Because I don't want you involved."

Well, at least he admitted that there was something. At least he didn't blatantly lie this time. "I'm already involved. I'm with you."

"I know. That's already too much."

Too much? I was with him. We were supposed to work together. How could I work with him if he wouldn't tell me anything? Resisting the urge to turn around and yell at him, I grabbed at my clothes on the floor. I needed space from him.