Chapter 12.

"When a man loves a woman, periodically he needs to pull away before he can get closer." -John Gray

Niall's POV

I rummage through my wardrobe to find a perfect outfit for tonight. I was happy that she agreed to go on a date with me. Well, technically, it's just two friends hanging out, but for me, it's a date without a kiss.

I send her the address of my restaurant and ask her to meet me at 7 in the evening. I also asked her to wear a semi-casual dress. I choose to wear a pair of white pants and a navy blue, checkered shirt before gelling my hair up, like usual, and use my Hugo Boss cologne.

My phone buzzes in my hand as I am about to leave. It is a message from Ana.

'Can you pick me up?'

I smile to myself.

'Of course'

She sends me her address and I tell her that I'll be there in 15. I drive myself to her house, after buying a nice bouquet of red roses, a smile never leaving my lips. I find myself in front of her house at quarter past 6 before lightly knocking on the door. After a few seconds I'm greeted by the most beautiful smile.

"Hey." She is wearing a plain, mid thigh, black dress with long sleeves. She looks simple but elegant with the eye makeup she did along with her red lips. Her hair flows freely down her shoulders and just below her chest.

"Hi, you look breathtaking," I mutter before I can stop myself. A blush reaches my cheeks before I hand her the bouquet of roses. Her eyes instantly light up.

"Oh my God! These are so beautiful. I love these." She gushes and smells it. "Thank you." She wraps her arms around my shoulder for a small hug and asks me to come in as she is putting the roses in the flower vase, but I gently decline.

"Let's go," Ana says as she walks out of her house and locks the door behind her. "You look good."

"Thank you, babe." The nickname comes out of my mouth before I can stop it, but I think that she didn't notice because she looks unaffected, or maybe she likes it.

We head out together and my arm keeps brushing against hers. I can't help the little zoo that was created since her hand brushed the first time. We reach my car and I open the car door for her.

"And I thought chivalry was dead," Ana remarks and I laugh. I circle and sit in the driver's seat. "I'm sorry that you have to come to pick me up." She starts. "I was going to drive myself, but I found out that I was running low on gas."

"No problem." I smile a genuine smile. "It was on my way anyways."

She smiles back.

During the drive, we talked about various songs and artists that were being played on the radio. She told me about her favourites and sang along with a few songs that she liked. I realised that we both, kind of, have the same music taste.

I soon pull up in the parking lot. I turn off the engine and undo my seat belt. I hold Ana's wrist as she is about to open the door to get out of the car. She quizzically looks at me, with raised eyebrows. "Let me?" I ask and she nods. I get out of the car and open the door for her. I offer her my hand and she accepts it before I help her out of the car and lock it behind me as she thanks me. We walk towards the glass door, Ana's hand still in mine, when she speaks.

"La Dinér! Nice choice, Niall." She winks as I open the door for her. I didn't know that she was unaware of the fact that I own La Dinér, but when I think, I don't remember telling her about it. I won't reveal it yet and decide to play with her. I offer her a smile as I imagine her reaction when she comprehends that it's my restaurant before leading her inside.

"Hi, Niall and Ana." We are greeted by the hostess, Cara. I had already booked a table and told Cara about the date, so she knew who Ana is. Ana had a wary look on her face but greets her anyways.

"Hi, Cara. Our table, ready?" I raise one of my eyebrows.

"Of course. This way, please." She leads us to our table and leaves, saying that our waiter will be here shortly.

"How do you both know each other? And how does she know my name?" She furrows her eyebrows, which makes her look way too cute. I chuckle at her confusion, but I am not planning to tell her that this restaurant is mine, yet.

"I visit here a lot." I shrug nonchalantly, plus it isn't even a lie, it's just half truth.

"Why?" She inquires.

I don't have the time to answer as our waiter comes to take our order. We order our dishes along with drinks and chat casually until the food arrives.

"Mm," She moans. "This is so tasty," She says as she licks her spoon clean.

"I know right, this is my favourite dish out of all." I saw with a mouthful of food and she laughs.

I talked about my family and my life throughout, except the Em part. I noticed that she looked a bit uncomfortable when I asked about her family. She didn't say much about them, just that they live in Wolverhampton and that she has a younger brother. I wanted to know what she is going through because she still looks upset behind her beautiful smile. I wanted to help, but I understand why she didn't open up, so I didn't push her any further.

We continue our dinner and didn't talk much about her, but she told me that she works as an artist in an art gallery. Her phone keeps on buzzing and she ignores it every time, but the person definitely isn't getting the hint.

"Just take it," I tell her.

"No. It's fine," She says and turns her phone to silent.

We soon completed our dinner and I stand up and offer her my hand, which she takes with a smile. "Bill?" She asks. I smirk knowing how much of a shock it would be for her when she comes to know that it's mine.

"We can just run away," I suggest with a serious face.

"What? No!" Ana shrieks and pulls some money out of her wallet. I laugh at her and she knits her eyebrows together. "What?"

"It's my restaurant, Ana." I chuckle.

She stops her actions and looks at me with wide eyes."You're kidding!" She whisper shouts, glaring me.

"This is my restaurant!" I exclaim and laugh at her oh-I-saw-a-zombie look. "How else do you think Cara knows me?"

"Why didn't you tell me?" She scowls.

"Then I would have missed this," I motion to her face with my hand and she slaps my arm slightly, but laughs along with me.

"You have a good restaurant here, Niall Horan," She says after her laughter subsides and keeps the money back in her wallet.

"Thank you." I bow.

I drive her back to her apartment and walk her to her house. I wait as she unlocks the door and goes inside. "Want to come in?" As tempting as it sounds, I deny her offer, telling her that I have work tomorrow. It isn't a lie, but the main reason I don't accept her offer because I'm afraid that if I spend even a single more minute with her, I'll be damned.

"Thanks for today, Niall. I had fun." She wraps her hands around me in a tight hug.

"I had fun, too." I hug her back. "Good night, Ana." I lean down and kiss her cheeks. She flushes slightly and waves her hand as I depart.

"'Night, Niall."