Epilogue 5

This is the longest chapter I've ever written. Enjoy x

Niall's POV

Finding the house keys from my pocket, I silently unlock the door. It's dark and quiet as I remove my shoes at the foyer. Suddenly, Piko comes running to me. I bend down and he licks my face making me laugh. "Hi, Piko. How have you been, doggo. I missed you so much." He wags his little tail and I scratch behind his ears. "Good boy." He follows me to the kitchen and continues to wag his tail as I pour myself a glass of water. Throwing him one of his treats, he barks once before retreating to his corner.

Completing my glass of water, I remove my tie and jacket and keep them on the couch before freshening up and going to my room. Ana looks so peaceful and beautiful. It's been twelve days since I last saw her. I don't know how's it possible but every time I look at her, I feel alive. Gently pecking Ana's lips I murmur, "I love you so goddamn much, baby."

Changing into sweats I decide to go to Harper's room. I wish my meeting hadn't run late- I would've been here in time to cut her birthday cake. Awful is how I feel for missing it.

Harp's fast asleep, comfortably tucked under her blanket. I walk up to her and kiss her forehead. "Happy Birthday, babygirl," I whisper along with, "I'm so sorry, I couldn't come earlier. I'll make it up to you, dada promises." Another kiss on her forehead and I leave.

Bode's next. Kissing him, he squirms and whines, until I retreat. Knowing that if I continue it, he'll wake up, I walk out and go to my youngest child's room.

When I turn the lights on, I see Rylee wide awake, playing with her toy giraffe as her pacifier lies on the bed. The scene in front of me brings a smile to my face. "Hey, Lee," I call and my seven-month-old daughter giggles. The grin on her face when she sees me dissipates most of my worries and tension in a few seconds. "What are you doing up so late, my babygirl?"

"D- da- dada." She manages out and it still doesn't feel real that my seven month old can talk; she is the fastest growing one from the Kohl-Horan clan. She makes grabby hands at me and I pick her up from her pink, unicorn, crib. "Dada," Excitingly, she touches my face— it reminds me so much of young Harper, Rylee is a carbon copy of her: same eyes; the same colour of hair; same Ana's nose.

"Dada missed you so much, Lee," I say as I rock her back and forth and she continues to laugh. "How was your day? I hope you didn't trouble mama much," I speak in a baby voice and she continues to giggle as I blow raspberries on her shoulder. Her hands feel my stubble and she cutely but disapprovingly scrunches up her face. "Did you miss me, Lee?" I don't know how much she understands, but the nod directed to me makes me happy.

Sitting against the crib, I play and talk with her for a little while before sitting her down on the pink carpet and resting my head on her lap— she loves it and I love it. Her tiny hands slap against my forehead and eyes and I laugh.

I nod at her as she babbles something incoherent with a glint in her eyes. She makes weird noises and it would've probably woken Ana up if I hadn't turned the baby monitor off. "Lee? You're not disappointed and mad with Dada, too, right?"

"Moo," She drags and I laugh. Proud of herself, she laughs along with me. Kissing my mouth a few times, she whines and pushes my head off her lap before crawling over to me and struggling to climb my trunk because of how tiny she is. I put an end to it and pick her up before settling her against my chest- her favourite place. "Ni- ni. H- huggy, hu- huggy da- da." She nods to herself and I wrap my arms around her, securing her, as per her request.

One of her hands fists my shirt while the other one stays against her mouth as she sucks on her thumb. I gently take it out of her mouth, it almost makes her weep, until I replace it with her pacifier. Making sure to wrap her blanket around her little body on top of me because she catches cold easily, I tiredly sigh and shut my eyes, letting sleep take over me.