The Cause of All The Heartaches

Sooo, I'm not the best at remembering things. On Wensday I forgot it was Wensday until about five minutes into Thursday, then I forgot to post it yesturday even though I said I was. So, sorry for this being so late, I'm totally to blame 😅

There was silence in the house for a while, the clicking of utensils as the two continued to wash and dry dishes the only sounds, no words shared between them.

Ethan couldn't really tell if he liked that or not, Aremis was letting him have his own space in a way, he was allowed to think and clear his own mind. But it also left him open to all the painful thoughts that he was constantly trying to ignore. All the ideas of what could be drawing Tyler away, what was happening at work that made him want to stay there more than come home and spend time with Ethan.

"Master Ethan?" Said man jumped, turning to the alien who was staring down at him with worried eyes, his hand settled on his shoulder.

"You were just standing there and staring at the counter, are you sure you're okay?"

“No, I’m not okay,” Ethan amended. His hands were shaking, but he decided not to try to hide them. Something about Aremis always felt trustful and loving to him. He could be vulnerable around him.

Without another word Ethan could feel himself being hugged tightly in long, yet very strong arms. He didn’t even recall the two of them slowly sitting down on the floor, but there they were. The silky white hair next to his cheek as he cried and cried. Once the tears had started, Ethan didn’t know how to make them stop, but regardless Aremis allowed him to sob. He allowed him to fall to pieces, without needing to know how long he would need to sit on the cold tile of their little kitchen.

“Master Ethan,” the Amare finally whispered after the smaller man became silent. “Your heart will get through this. I promise.”

“I don't know if I believe you,” he tried his best to speak, but he was hiccuping as a new wave of tears rushed down his cheeks, “it hurts Aremis. I-I don't know what I did and I d-on't know how to ma-ake it st-top.”

Aremis couldn't push away the concern that statement brought, he gently pulled Ethan's head against his chest and let him fight the sobs and hiccups in his chest. He carfully stroked his hair, running his large fingers through it while his other hand rubbed Ethan's back.

“What do you mean? Make what stop?” It took a few more minutes, but eventually Aremis could make out words

“Hurting, I-I want to know wh-at to do to make my heart st-op hurting.”

There was a very deep sigh that escaped Aremis’ lips, and for once since Ethan had known the alien he could tell he was thinking very deeply. The silence between them was just as painful as his own breaking heart, yet it took a very long time for Aremis to speak again.

“Maybe...I can help, Master Ethan,” he said gently, again rubbing the small of the younger man’s back. “Amare are gifted with the ability to read and understand emotions, so maybe I could talk to Master Tyler? See if I can sense the true nature of his heart.”

Ethan struggled to understand what Aremis was suggesting to him. Was he going to try to find out if something actually changed with Tyler’s feelings for him?

“But you-,” he paused, slowly pushing himself back so he could look Aremis in the eyes, “You kept go-ing on and on about how in love we are. We've been having problems for a . . for a while now. Wouldn't you have been able to see the ‘nature of his heart’?”