The Way You Come Up With Names

I am so sorry that this update is late again, I remember realizing I forgot to update on Thursday, then forgetting to go back and post this. So if there's ever in update that seems to be late on any following Wensday, I'd say anything past six, just yell at me to update 😅

After a few more seconds of silence the young women looked up at them, raising a thin brow as she sent them a curious look from behind her thick glasses.

The men shared another glance, and Tyler was just about to tell the kind lady they didn't have a name for the dog picked out yet when Ethan blurted out:

“Aremis! That's his name!” The woman was slightly taken back by the sudden enthusiasm behind his tone, but smiled and began to type.

“Wait, isn't that one of the guys from the Three Musketeers?” Tyler questioned, the newly named Aremis cocking his own head in confusion, only for Ethan to send him a glare and gently pet the dog's ears.

“Yeah, he's the hot one, which is seriously the only reason I remember him. I mean, who doesn't want a Spanish lover with great facial hair? Oh! And spell it with an ‘e’ instead of another ‘a’, it's more original that way and less copy catty.” The women did her best to stiffen her laugh as she corrected the spelling, but it turned into more of a snort, which only made her laugh again.

“That’s quite a big back story for such a cute little pup,” the receptionist cooed, and she typed the name “Aremis” in the computer. Tyler looked equally amused at Ethan’s rambling logic, but just shrugged his large shoulders as he followed Ethan towards the doorway.

The vet office was small, but inviting with wood panels and soft lighting. Ethan wondered if the vet did this on purpose to help pets feel less stressed. If Aremis was any indication then the layout worked. His blue eyes looked around curiously at where they were, but didn’t seemed frightened at all.

Ethan sat the small dog on the little metal table that was attached to the wall, this room was obviously meant for smaller animals, as he could see a large dog quite comically breaking the table if one were to lay on it.

Aremis was thrown off by the new feeling below his paws though, his nails clicking against the metal as he backed up and stared down at the surface, cocking his head at his reflection and giving a small bark, jumping when it echoed especially loud in the small room.

Tyler gave a short snort of laughter at Aremis’ antics. The canine was almost sliding across the metal table, his happy barks making Ethan giggle like mad. It was so odd that something so simple could cause both men so much joy as seeing a little dog play.

As if all of the arguing that they had been doing over the past few weeks evaporated as the they watched Aremis bounce. Tyler felt his heart grow more for the pup. He was making Ethan so happy.

It dawned on Tyler that they hadn't really discussed what they would do if the dog did indeed belong to someone else, they hadn't even mentioned it since that first night. But the way Ethan's eyes lit up and the way his laughter filled the room just at watching the small creature, he couldn't bring himself to remind him of that. Instead he ran his hand up and down his outer thigh slowly until green eyes turned and gave him their attention.

“We can go to the store after this and get him a a collar and other things when we're done here, alright baby?” Ethan just grinned and nodded quickly, leaning up to peck Tyler's cheek and cuddle against his shoulder. Even if they couldn't keep this dog Tyler could see how happy a little companion made Ethan, and he'd do anything to keep him in this upbeat state. His friend's dog was having puppies soon, and though those were retrievers they would still keep Ethan company when he was working late.