Chapter 27 - An Opportunity of a Lifetime

Ruby

Ruby sits tight with her fists clenched and Oscar stands in the corner, waiting for the opportune moment. They can hear the gleeful laughter of one Tyrian Callows getting near to their cells. His shadow walks across the walls as he walks towards her cell. "Looks like I need to make another message for them." Tyrian whispers as he stares at Ruby and Oscar, his wrist blades extending quickly, light shining across the curved blades. The edges serrated from where he has recently sharpened them with a sharpening stone. Ruby looks at him and she stares straight into his golden yellow eyes.

"Give it your best." Ruby challenged with a smirk, her confidence angers the Scorpion Faunus. He stands there, and her eyes widen when she sees the tail rising up.

The barb has fully grown back now, filled with poison that could kill her or at least force her into an endurance of agony. She never felt the pain that Qrow experienced as the poison corrupted his bloodstream, slowly killing him over time. It could have been much worse, only a little bit of poison got into him, but now he could get a lot more into her. "I can make you suffer now..." He assures.

"Try it." She challenges, and Tyrian arches an eyebrow, confused at her sudden fearlessness.

"What are you waiting for?" Tyrian questions. But Ruby narrows her only eye as she stares at him, and it further angers the psychotic man.

She waits...

...and waits.

He grabs the latch and then he opens the cell, about to close the door. "The opportunity of a lifetime." She answers when he enters, making him stop, realising his mistake. She screams as she launches towards him in a whirlwind of red rose petals, punching him across the side of his head, hitting him hard. Tyrian grunts in pain and Ruby kicks him in the spine and it causes him to stagger. Normally he is able to counter such a simple attack, but he was not expecting her to do it. She catches the door and slams it shut, locking it behind her with Tyrian trapped inside. "No!" Tyrian roars with anger, reaching through the bars for her. He reaches for the keys on his belt but he feels nothing, and then he sees her holding the keychain with a smirk on her cheeky face. He clenches his hand into a fist. "If you think you're gonna get out of here – you are dead wrong." Tyrian giggles frenziedly. But Ruby just walks over to Oscar's cell and she unlocks his door and lets him out. Oscar steps out from the cell and they both look at the trapped Faunus in the cell, animalistically pounding and scraping his blades against the bars to get out, but to no avail.

The cell was built too strong for a prisoner to escape. Ruby smirks and salutes to him. "Enjoy your stay, Tyrian." Ruby says with a smile, running with Oscar to get out of there. They can still hear Tyrian yelling with anger inside the cell as they flee down the corridor.

"How long until they know we've escaped?" Oscar asks her, wagering a bet.

Suddenly there is a loud alarm that starts blaring in the base as some Acolytes have added security systems to the base. "All hands! Prisoner escape!" The soldier on the comms yells. Ruby looks at her partner and laughs a little.

"That long." She says.

"It seems so." He chuckles, they continue to run down the corridor and Ruby looks at the boy.

"Do you know how to control your semblance yet?" She asks him and he holds his palm out and shakes it from side to side. In a sort of kind of way. "What does that mean? You can so-so control them? So you can so-so stop time, oh that makes me feel so much better!" Ruby sarcastically groans as they run.

"I'll figure it out." Oscar says to her to try and make her feel better, but Ruby is still not entirely convinced. It took her years to control Rose Dash; hopefully he can learn his in a couple of moments.