Chapter Forty-Five

Things could not have been more awkward. Ashton sat across from Luke at the table, purposely sitting far away from his charge. Luke tried his best not to mock Ashton, but rubbing it in his face seemed fun.

  "You look cozy," commented the younger man.

  "Will you just eat your dinner".

  "I guess we're back to me taking orders from you then?" Luke smirked, his elated mood bothering Ashton.

  The older man refrained from telling Luke to watch it, because he was happy for Luke's self-esteem boost. He just wished some other poor soul had been on the receiving end. Alas, Ashton knew he deserved it. His plan with good intentions quickly blew up, leaving debris everywhere.

  "Hey, your birthday is next week isn't it?" Ashton asked suddenly.

  "Yeah it is. Why?" Luke replied, twirling his fork around his spaghetti that he had no intention of eating.

  "Wouldn't twenty birthday spanks just be the perfect gift?" Ashton teased.

  "Okay, I'll stop making fun of you". Luke said, only half-heartedly. He had too much fun pestering Ashton. And apparently his masculinity was a sensitive topic.

  "Good. My other gift to you is going to be a party". Ashton announced.

  "Really? Here?"

  "Yes. I want to move some of the furniture to the basement and I'll have decorators come in and redo everything. You're coming into a new decade of life, that's exciting!" Gushed the older man.

  "Yeah, but I can't even legally drink." Luke whined, knowing Ashton didn't care if he had a drink or two. He managed to hold his liquor.

  "You're getting there," Ashton promised, "eat your food".

  And their dynamic went back to how it used to be- with Ashton telling Luke how it was, and Luke pushing the boundaries at any chance he could find.

  * * *

  It was Luke's birthday. And it was more than he could have imagined. People from his classes were dancing around to party/club music. A bartender was serving at a small station set up by the pool. And there was a pile of gifts, all labelled to be given to Luke.

  "Wow," Michael started.

  "I didn't expect this much. I don't even know these people," Luke muttered.

  Michael and Luke had been given orders to stay away from the house until 7 at night when the decorators would be gone and the people would arrive. Ashton wanted to blow his young charge away.

  "Luke!" Called Ashton, he was wearing a turquoise shirt with a hot pink tie and tight jeans. Everyone at the party was dressed a bit spunky. Even Michael had done up his hair in a funky spiked style.

  "Hey!" Luke replied, meeting him over by the bar. "How many people are here?"

  "At least one hundred. My family came too! They wanted to bring you some gifts, and apparently yell at me," Ashton said the last part quietly. "Hence the bar!"

  Luke wondered if Ashton wasn't already tipsy. He had been yelling despite Luke being able to hear him just fine.

  "Thank you, Ashton. This is actually really awesome".

  When Luke looked back at Ashton he was smashing his lips against Calum's.

  Luke rolled his eyes, a bit of jealousy flaring up, seeing Calum smile in Ashton's arms. The blonde wondered if they did more than that, or if they were waiting.

   Hours went by of crazy drinking, flirting, dancing, swimming, and karaoke. It was all too quick.

  * * *

  Luke woke up the next morning in Ashton's bed, a naked body sleeping beside him.

  "Oh shit!" Luke yelled, jumping.