Chapter Thirty-Six

Silence filled the dining room. Only the slight sound of the silverware clanking one another could be heard. Ashton looked down at his lap and then towards Luke.

"I have to go out of town for work next week".

"What for?" Luke asked.

"Meetings for work. Boring stuff." Ashton fiddled with his fork. "How are your sentences coming along?"

"They're done," Luke admitted. He couldn't eat from his nerves being so wound. He pushed his food around to pass the time.

"Great. We'll finish your punishment after dinner then," glancing at Luke's plate he continued, "I do expect you to eat".

The blonde nodded, his throat felt tight once more and he knew he'd cry if he had to respond.

"Anyways, I'm thinking Michael could stay here with you while I'm gone and keep you company".

"You want him to babysit me?" Luke gathered, anger rising in his chest.

"Somewhat, until you can be trusted by yourself".

"Great," the blonde couldn't believe his night was taking a nose dive so quickly.

"Calum said he will stop by too sometimes, just to check in for me".

  Ashton stood up and grabbed his empty plate. He left Luke alone to finish eating. Luke felt sick just looking at his food. His anxiety made it impossible for him to eat anything. He thought Ashton knew that, but maybe not. He wished Heath wasn't napping. If he could sneak the dog his food he would.

  The chef sighed loudly. The old Italian man assumed Luke hated his cooking. Weeks ago he complained to Ashton, asking why the young boy never ate any of his food. Ashton just told he wasn't hungry. The Italian man rolled his eyes, taking his leave then.

  Half an hour later, Ashton went to check on Luke who looked pale and terribly upset. His eyes were watery and his leg was shaking quickly.

  "Are you okay?"

  Luke jumped, not expecting the older man to return so soon. "y-yeah!" He lied, using his arms to cover his dinner plate. There was the returning feeling of being five, trying to hide the fact that he didn't eat his broccoli from his mother who would make him sit at the table until he did, but it always helped a little when she convinced Luke they were tiny trees that would make his stomach happy.

  The same tricks wouldn't work on the nineteen year old.

  "Sorry, I didn't mean to spoke you. Is there a reason you haven't eaten?"

  "I don't feel good". Luke admitted, setting his hands in his lap.

  "You're probably just hungry" Ashton said tiredly. He was sick of the younger man refusing to eat. And the chef's complaints didn't help any.

  Luke could see where the conversation was going. "Can I please save it for later?"

  "No, you're just going to act like this later too".

  "But Ashton-"

  "Do not give me any excuses. None of them are good enough to get you out of eating".

  "Please don't make me" Luke begged, crying once again.

  "Fine, fine, Luke. Whatever." Ashton snatched his plate up and tossed it loudly in the microwave for later. "You know what to do".

  Relieved, the blonde hurried to the bathroom. He really did just want to finish his punishment. He knew it was straining Ashton to keep up the tough facáde.

  Meeting Luke in the bathroom with a bar of soap, Ashton frowned. He wanted to tell him "forget it. You've been through enough today," but he knew Calum would tell him he was being soft or being too confusing with the punishments. Seeing the nineteen year old cry was difficult for him.

  The younger man was seated on the ledge of the bathtub, trying to mentally prepare for his punishment. He despised mouth soaping the most. It was humiliating and gross all at once.

  Ashton held the bar of soap to his face, Luke placed it in his mouth and looked away.

  "Do you understand why this is the punishment?"

  Luke nodded sadly. His bangs mixed with his tears. The soapy taste disgusted him.

  "Good. Are your lines legible?"

  Another nod.

  "Good. Was that so difficult?" Ashton asked.

  Luke nodded once again. The older man chuckled slightly, "overdramatic much?"

  Once the timer on his phone rang out, he removed the soap from Luke's mouth and allowed him to rinse. Defeated, he turned and rested his head in Ashton's shoulder. The older man rubbed his back while Luke cried.

   Ashton just held him tightly, glad he wasn't pushing his young charge away by being strict.

  Luke pushed himself away from Ashton slightly, wiped his face, and let out a shaky breath. He wanted to apologize to Ashton, but the words were difficult for him to elaborate. His ears burned at the thought of apologizing for something he considered asinine not even several hours ago.

  "I am sorry," Luke said quietly. It had caught Ashton off guard since he didn't expect any sort of genuine apology, but he also hadn't been expecting Luke to want comfort after such a simple punishment. "I shouldn't have lied to either of you".

   "Oh?" Ashton pressed, caught by surprise.

  "Um, yeah". Luke said quietly.

  "You're forgiven, kiddo" The older man ruffled his hair, leaving Luke to himself.