Chapter Thirty-Four

Outside, the sky was lit up by specks of stars and the occasional plane that flew by. Ashton remembered thinking they were spaceships when he was a kid. He laughed lightly at the thought now. Ignorance really was bliss sometimes. He debated going across the street to pick up a pack of cigarettes. His stress levels were higher than he was used to. A cigarette always calmed his nerves. He leaned against the brick building and stared straight ahead, watching cars zip by.

  "Penny for your thoughts?" Calum appeared with a dirty penny in his hand.

  "That's cheap coming from a therapist" Ashton mused. "And I know my thoughts are worth a lot more to you".

  "It was just a joke," Calum said, "I'd never charge you, you know".

  "Gee, thanks" Ashton was really craving that cigarette just then. He started walking forward.

  "We have to talk". Calum stated the obvious, "this is just... It's dumb, okay? We're adults now, please!"

  Ashton didn't turn around. He proceeded to the gas station across the street.

  "Ashton, c'mon. I was so young back then. I didn't know any better".

  The older man turned, quickly, "I don't care. You single-handed ruined my life!"

  "Your life already sucked!" Calum interjected, "you were being beaten everyday and you were half starved! You looked like some beat on emaciated cat! I saved you!"

  Chuckling, Ashton continued, "there he goes, playing 'God' again. You think you know everything, don't you?"

  "You still have the scars too. You would have killed yourself if I didn't help you!"

  SMACK!

  Clutching his cheek, Calum glared. Ashton held his hand. He didn't mean to do that. Both men just stared at each other.

  * * *

  "Darleen Gingham! Joseph Gulligan!" The doctor yelled out more students names. Michael looked at his watch, surprised neither men came back yet. Luke looked like he might pass out.

  "They'll be here," The older boy promised, hoping his promise would hold true. Luke nodded, feeling butterflies flit around in his stomach and head.

  * * *

  "Look, I'm going to the gas station, you want some ice?" Ashton asked, guilt flooding his mind.

  "Uh, yeah actually, if it's no trouble," Calum said casually, as if he hadn't just been smacked in the face by his ex best friend.

  "I-I'll be back."

  For some reason, Calum felt like some progress had been made. He didn't mind waiting in the dark all night. He saw a glimmer of hope. Maybe his best friend would come back to him.

  Ashton arrived quickly, an icepack in one hand and smokes in the other. Calum gratefully took the ice. His face was bright red.

  "Damn, I'm sorry, man". Ashton sighed, lighting a cigarette.

  "Don't be. I wasn't right to say those things to you".

  "M-maybe I needed to hear them."

  "Do you think they're at Hemmings yet?" Calum asked.

  "I'd hope so" Ashton chuckled lightly, following his younger friend into the building.

  They both took their seats in the nick of time.

  Luke's name was called after what felt like an eternity. Michael whistled and cheered as the younger boy blushed. He smiled as he accepted the certificate from Doctor Raven. She shook his hand and allowed Ashton to take a picture on his phone.

  The blonde grinned when he noticed Calum and Ashton talking to each other and laughing.

  Maybe things could be just like the movies. 

  Luke happily hugged Ashton when he arrived at his table. Ashton ruffled his hair.