Chapter Twenty-Six | First World

Start from the beginning

Although smiling, ShuNing cursed the man. He wasn't a damned woman.

The cart wasn't too spacious, but it was snug enough to keep them warm throughout the short journey. A curtain stopped any one from seeing inside, but there was a small window that ShuNing was able to look out of when they started to climb.

Passing by the affluent manors that were housing families of much higher status than his own, he spotted a few individuals, wearing ridiculously over-the-top outfits, making the journey on foot. The bitter side of him, the side that detested these clan's politics and those who profited off them, made him want to snort, but instead he forced himself to look away.

"You seem displeased." Elder Kang piped up and immediately ShuNing shook his head, a soft smile on his lips.

"Far from displeased, Elder Kang, just overwhelmed. In such a short space of time many things have happened, it's hard to imagine that I'm here." He ended with a light laugh.

"Mm, I understand. I must confess that it won't get any better. What I mean is that everything from here-on out will be unnecessarily excessive in all aspects. Our beloved XeLeader likes to showcase his commodities which are, even for me, a little unwarranted."

"I understand, Elder Kang."

By not commenting on the man's disputable words about both the clan and its ruler, ShuNing was in fact solidifying the opinion about himself in the heart of Kang Guiren.

"Just remember, Little Shu, you are not required to stay by my side this evening, but I have absolutely no qualms if you choose to do so. I can understand if you want a familiar presence."

"En, thank you."

"Ah, about our conversation earlier this week," the man continued to speak, alerting ShuNing who was now very interested in what he had to say, "I have found out something quite vital about Xythumane that will be best used when I bring this information to XeLeader."

"Vital? Like what, Elder Kang."

The older man shook his head slightly, whilst still smiling. "I want you to remain oblivious, so that when you are ultimately questioned, you know nothing about it. I only tell you this information, not to tease you, but to show you that I am taking action."

As this was such a drastic change from the previous timeline, ShuNing truly had no idea what the other man planned. He could only obediently smile and nod, hoping the man would be able to carry out what he promised to do.

"Then will XeWife be attending tonight?"

"Mm, as she does every event that XeLeader attends. Though this is one of her only appearances as of late, due to her rather harsh scolding for embarrassing our leader at your trial."

"Why would it have embarrassed XeLeader?" He knew the answer, but the more he got the old man to speak about their leaders, the closer he came to forming an opinion.

"Little Shu, there were many important figures at your trial. XeLeader, like myself, had been asking you questions as if you were the guilty party. When in actuality, the one behind it all was sitting right at our leader's side. This could be interpreted as our leader loosing control. And not only that, but the one who seems to not find him a threat, is his very own wife." Elder Kang patiently explained, emphasising points, making it dramatic.

But ShuNing understood, just as he understood that the man clearly despised XeWife as his expression soured when mentioning her. Just like when, at the mention of XeLeader, the chief advisor held no expression of appreciation for the man. If anything, it appeared a lot like contempt.