33 - Archie

TODAY HAS BEEN THE longest day in the world. Or it sure felt like it.

I'd had to endure four days without my two best friends, and I cannot tell you how boring they've.

Now though, I'm twenty minutes away from seeing my girl, and I am beyond excited.

***

WE DECIDE TO HEAD straight there after school.

When the bell goes, I don't even let Millie change, arguing that she could do that when she gets there. I practically drag her to the car, and within minutes we are speeding down the High Road to Tessa's.

My stomach is alive with butterflies as we climb the steps for the millionth time, and for some reason I actually feel a bit terrified.

I ring the doorbell and I'm nervous when we don't get an answer for nearly two minutes.

"Maybe they're not home yet?"

"Mils. The lights are on." I shake my head.

She shrugs in response and sits on the bench outside the door, getting her phone out of her pocket.

I ring again, and again, and finally, after four more rings, the door opens.

It's Matt. A very moody looking Matt. He looks sour-faced and angry as he answers the door, rather than his usual happy self. He lets us in but doesn't say anything as we stand awkwardly in the doorway.

"What's up? How was it?" I ask, breaking the ice, not knowing what else to do.

"Fine," he grunts before walking away from us. "Tessa's in there." He jerks his head to the kitchen and disappears into the living room, leaving Millie and me standing in the doorway.

"What the hell was that?" I look at Millie quizzically and she just shrugs, following him into the living room.

I'm about to follow too, wanting to ask him why he's in such a foul mood, but then I hear the sound of music and humming coming from the kitchen. I find my feet changing direction as the humming gets louder.

It smells like Tessa is doing dinner, and I as I round the corner I see has her headphones in, so she has no idea I'm here.

I lean against the wall and watch as she moves to the music and I soon realise she's listening to Mr Brightside, one of her favourites. I smile as she her heels off the floor at the chorus, pretending to jump, and I love how carefree she seems. She's holding a hot pan though, so I wait until she's put it down before encircling my arms around her waist, not wanting to wait another second.

"Hey beautiful." I keep my voice low as I put my hands on her waist.

She squeals and jumps in surprise, putting her hands over mine, and pulls out her headphones before swivelling in my arms. Her face brightens as she sees me and I feel like a kid on Christmas. She hugs me tightly and I tuck my face into the crook her neck, kissing the soft skin there as she encircles her legs around my waist. I'm now laughing as I move my head, spinning us around into the centre of the kitchen.

God I've missed her.

"Hey!" She pulls her head and sifts her hands through my hair as she sighs. "I missed you." She places her hand on my cheek and strokes her thumb over it. Her eyes flicker with sadness, but it's gone in a flash.

I shake my head. "Not as much as I have," I smile, moving in for a kiss when we hear keys jingle in the lock. "Shit."

I drop her carefully back to her feet and casually lean back against the counter when I realise I still have my coat on. I'm just taking it off when Andrew comes in the door shrugging off his own coat.