Chapter Twenty-Five | First World

Start from the beginning

This gave ShuNing enough time to sit down and look through his recently-arrived letters. Knowing that he needed to make a prompt response, he prepared the necessary materials himself and started with his cursive scribbles.

When he finished, sitting back in his seat, watching as the ink soaked into the parchment and dried, his thoughts drifted unconsciously to ZhangFeng. More so the first time he read the man's horrific writing. His own lips twitched before curving up.

ShuNing touched his fingers to his mouth, laughing quietly to himself. The man, as perfect as he wished himself to be, was far from it. But ShuNing certainly wasn't going to be the one to tell the man, especially not after their last argument.

Which embarrassingly just ended up with him bursting into tears and latching onto the man he was trying to stand up to. ShuNing felt his cheeks warm at the memory, ducking his head and cursing himself.

Since the journey back, he hadn't seen the man. When he had tried to, by heading to the jade-level library, ZhangFeng wasn't present. The seat that he usually took was empty and ShuNing didn't feel any inclination to stick around. Afterwards he had felt somewhat dejected, but soon after that he was entirely wrapped up in aiding the children with their recuperation.

These children, who had received no such support, were gobsmacked to see someone like ShuNing by their side when they woke up. When they had to be helped with the menial tasks like lifting up utensils to eat, and even walk, the pretty young master was by their side and patiently helping them.

ShuNing is, or was the youngest son of his family. Undoubtedly spoiled, as much as he shrugged it off and denied it. He hadn't experienced the responsibility of looking after someone younger than himself before. And then came Mianmian, and now the children. He had already made such promises to himself that when the tidal-wave hits in the near future, the children would be protected under his wing. [ Just to be clear LOL, metaphorical tidal-wave. ]

Though, there were others he wished to protect from what was coming, he had to prioritise the children. The others, he just had to hope, could fend for themselves.

Again, his thoughts slipped to the broody purple-eyed man. He ridiculed himself for even worrying about the man. No man as stubborn as ZhangFeng would go down easily.

Pinching the bridge of his nose, ShuNing muttered to himself, "Fahren, don't do this." He tried to persuade himself, trying to lure himself from the direct path that led straight to the very-appealing man that he should still classify as a stranger. He was aware of how his body now reacted when he thought of the man, how his cheeks burned and his chest thumped.

This person doesn't even exist! This is a world created to test him. Perhaps 'ZhangFeng' has been deliberately added, a manifestation of his own lust!?

"Haah" ShuNing sighed, his brain overheating.

"Young master," the oldest of the three servants, and the only woman, suddenly appeared making ShuNing jump out of his seat. "Ah, forgive me, I saw you deep in thought and didn't wish to interrupt you." She bobbed her head, her hands linked together in front of her.

"That's alright," he laughed awkwardly, his face practically sizzling. ", what's up-wrong, what's wrong?" He quickly corrected.

The female attendant blinked, observing her young master who appeared to be in a slightly-frazzled state. Her eyes drifted to the desk that had a few parchments. Perhaps a letter from a secret lover? She giggled to herself.

"Your bath has been drawn, young master, I suggest taking it soon as there isn't a tremendous amount of time until the Chief Advisor comes to collect you for tonight's banquet." She revealed and the little master nodded quickly.