Chapter 25

December 2014

December 2014

It had been completely, and absolutely life shattering for Emeline to realize that Jasper was a vampire, yet somehow, like she was a moth drawn to the supernatural flame, it brought her even closer to him.

She'd had an aversion to anything abnormal for most of her life, sticking with her friends and the safety net of what she knew, but Jasper had expanded that, pushing past the limits and boundaries of everything the brunette knew.

So she said yes, when Jasper asked her to the winter formal. How could you not, when faced with someone that knew your past better than you knew it yourself.

Though her safety was louder, more outgoing, more abrasive than the normal person's, talking back against teachers and bullshitting with Jessica was the bubble she'd made herself, and Jasper Whitlock had managed to pop it with his very existence, awakening thoughts and memories in her that she couldn't ignore.

"You look beautiful." Jasper said, awestruck as he saw Emeline. His blond curls had been perfectly styled, falling around his face with not a single strand undone. He was wearing a simple dark button up with dress pants and pointy dress shoes, and the darkness of his attire made the bright gold of his eyes stand out to Emeline even more than usual, transfixing her.

  He'd recently hunted.

Emeline crosses her living room to grab Jasper's hand, tugging at it with a grin as she led Jasper over to were the rest of her friends were already getting photos taken, their parents surrounding them in a semicircle.

"Smile, Tyler!" One of the mom's said, by the sound of it Jessica's was the likely culprit.

"I probably should have warned you that my house was the photo hotspot, but I didn't want to scare you off." Emeline said with a laugh as she dragged Jasper over to her friends, and for once he didn't look stiff or awkward, instead he was transfixed as he looked at Emeline.

It made Wren smile, seeing how infatuated the boy was with her daughter, and she knew that she'd tease the girl relentlessly later. They had a rule though, not in front of the boy.

Emeline looked lovely of course, hence why Jasper was unable to stop watching her as the black material of her dress moved fluidly as they all posed for pictures, Jasper feeling like an outsider, which he was, until it was time for him and Emeline to get photos as a couple.

Emeline's dark hair was pulled back regally, the bun in which her hair sat at the back of her head decorated with dainty white flowers. She wore a long black dress that matched Jasper's attire, though it had lace detailing on the bust, and a leg slit that was practically dangerous. The material seemed to hug Emeline perfectly, and she snaked an arm around his waist with a flash of her perfectly white teeth, smiling at him radiantly, and Jasper knew he had to focus for the pictures.

Jasper and Emeline posed for several pictures that Wren insisted on sending to Esme, from silly poses, to him looking at her as if she was a goddess while she threw her head back in a laugh, to a chaste kiss on his cheek.

"Okay mom!" Emeline laughed, hugging her mother. "If we don't leave now we're never going to actually get to the dance." She joked, and eventually all of the parents let them go, with one final round of pictures being completed.

"Imagine how they'll be during prom." Jasper joked, but Emeline's eyes widened in mock terror.

  "Don't mention that. We still have a few months." She said, as if trying to calm herself, and her blond companion gave her a rather amused look as she opened his car door for him.

Emeline's mother had gotten her a car for her birthday, and she felt like she'd died and gone to heaven. The beater was exactly what she needed. Jasper climbed into the car easily, and Emeline took the drivers side and buckled up, shooting Jasper a glare when he didn't do the same.

"I'm bulletproof." Jasper deadpanned as Emeline started the car, and she shook her head.

"I'm not leaving this driveway until you buckle your ass up." Emeline said firmly, tapping her fingers on the steering wheel, and Jasper begrudgingly complied.

The decorations for the winter formal were simple, Emeline decided as she stepped foot into the Fork's High Gym, her waist being lightly held by her chivalrous date. The paper cutouts, fairy lights, and badly made snowflakes hadn't transformed the gym per day, but along with the lights Emeline found herself thinking it was charming.

Stupidly charming.

Jasper grinned at her as he pulled her onto the dance floor, right next to Jessica and Mike, and the lights reflected on his teeth supernaturally.

The two danced like idiots, Emeline cackling when Jasper referred to the cha cha slide as a "modern line dance", which sprung up a debate between the two as to what a line dance entailed. It was the most normal things had ever been, and the most human Jasper had felt in a while.

Jasper's siblings had even came, most of them finding themselves dancing to a slow song at one point of another. Jessica even insisted that she dance with Alice, not letting the girl sit sadly on the sidelines when she looked so eager, and the two tiny women were a sight to behold as they spun gracefully, upshowing practically everyone else, until Alice went blank.

Edward was the only Cullen who had elected to stay home, saying that the petty teenage thoughts around him would cause him to go insane, but Emeline secretly thought that he was just lonely.

Alice collapsed in the middle of the packed dance floor, a vision overcoming her, and Rosalie was at her side the second Jessica called out. People surrounded them, staring at the scene as Rosalie tried to find out what was happening to Alice, and Jasper and Emeline made their way over to the girl, crouching down.

  "Alice, are you chill?" Emeline asked as the shorter girl's golden eyes started to unglazed, and she blinked at the people above her, surrounding her.

  "Everything is going to change." Alice whispered in a hollow voice, and Emeline got the feeling that the phrase was meant more for Alice herself than anyone else.

As they helped Alice stand up, concerned, unbeknownst to them, a seventeen year old girl, over a thousand miles away, known as Isabella Swan made the choice to move to Forks, subjecting herself to living with her father for the last two years of high school.

A/N
And that's the end of the present timeline for Daybreak! We just have one chapter in the past left, and then it's time for the next book in the series!! I'm so proud of myself for getting all of this out of my head at last, though I have so much planning to do for the next book.