Prologue

Early 2000s

Early 2000s

Emeline Rivera was seven years old when her father left, she was seven years old when she finally learned to ride a bike, and she was seven years old when it was discovered that she may not be entirely normal.

She was at Angela Weber's house for what was supposed to be her first sleepover, and if she was being honest with herself it had kind of sucked regardless. The Weber's were very strict. Angela wasn't allowed to watch cartoons or play on the computer until she was ten, as her parents thought she'd be ill adjusted if they allowed her to watch anything but educational television.

Here's a scene setter for you:

  Jessica Stanley, Emeline, and Angela had all been sitting on the floor in Angela's living room. Jessica and Emeline were trading silly bands. They each had a hoard of them laid out on the ground, and both were clamoring to find the ones that they didn't have. Meanwhile Angela was sprawled in front of the TV.

Jessica had refused to trade her purple genie with Emeline, which filled the small girl with rage, so she decided to do what any seven year old would do in the situation.

She shunned Jessica and joined Angela in watching her documentary.

It was about the civil war and if Emeline was being honest she was only half paying attention to what was happening.

At least until Emeline collapsed.

While faces and places flickered across Emeline's vision, her body went limp, and Angela began to cry, calling out for her parents.

Instead of having fun with her friends, Emeline was subjected to the joy of a visit to the hospital. After tests and questions and a million other examinations, she was sent home.

Nothing was wrong.

Yet Emeline and everyone around her began to see her blacking out as all too common of an experience.

That and the hospital visits.