12

I watch Sam's back as he runs out of the room slamming the door behind him. I quickly get off my chair and follow him out.

He said that something was wrong with Josh but I can't recall what Josh was actually doing this afternoon. I think he said he was taking Maya out to the reserve to have a nice day with her, and he was going to tel her he loves her for the first time. Oh no I hope nothing bad has happened to them.

I continue to rush after Sam although he seems not to notice me following him as he is determined to get to his brother. We rush around another corner nearing the hospital wing of the pack house and we hear the chatting of people and beating of machines. I look around at the pristine white walls and scrunch my nose up at the strong chemical smell.

I see Sam up ahead stop in front of a door and he slowly walks into the room. I jog the rest of the way to the room and slow down when I finally reach the entrance. I look inside the room and see Josh lying in the bed covered in cuts and bruises. There is an almighty scratch running across his cheek that is likely to leave a scar along with a purple ring around his eye and what looks to me as a broken leg underneath the blanket. I see the heart monitor attatched to him and I hear the steady beeps of the machine. He seems to have some sort of breathing contraption on his face which helps him breath and I think I can see an IV sticking out of his arm. Sam sits on the chair beside his bed and picks up his hand and I can see the glossiness in his eyes. I look away deciding to give them space and close the door silently. I walk over into the waiting area and hardly notice poor little Maya curled up in a ball on on of the chairs.

"Maya" I whisper

Her eyes shoot open and I can see the tiredness in her eyes, the bags underneath them and the fact that they are bloodshot tell me enough. Her clothes -once beautiful- were now covered in blood and dirt and I can see small scratches upon her own arms. I can see the still moist tear tracks on her face and when she look into her eyes they start to gloss up even more.

I rush over to her and sit on the chair beside her and wrap my arms around her shoulder. I hear a small sob escape her lips, "No, no Maya" I whisper rubbing her back and soothing her softly.

"I-It's all my-y fault" she cries out, the tears running freely down her cheeks.she rest her head on my shoulder letting all of her tears run out.

"Do you want to tell me what happened?" I ask her gently, careful not to scare her.

She nods her head taking a deep breath preparing herself for what she has to say, "Well Josh decided that he would take me out and I had no idea where we were going. We walked there so I knew it was close by and that it was out in the bush. He ended up taking me down to the reserve and it was so romantic, there was a little picnic set up on the dock that was on the end of the lake and it was just beautiful. We were having such a great time and he was being so cute with me." She looks over at the room he is in with a small smile on her face but it is quickly removed, "But then it happened!" She starts to break down again and curls into a ball resting her head on my lap.

"What happened Maya?" I ask again hoping for an answer but she doesn't seem to feel like answering right now and just continues to sob into my lap as I stroke her hair. I hear a door open and I look up to see Sam standing outside the door with unshed tears in his eyes. He sees Maya on my lap and smiles sadly to her.

"Maya you should go in and see him, he needs you by his side" Sam whispers shakily.

Maya sits up from her resting spot but shakes her head the tears still falling "I don't want to see him like that" she sobs quietly

Sam comes over and wraps her in a hug and I feel some sort of jealousy over her but I quickly dismiss it knowing that he is only comforting her. "Maya he needs you, if anyone can bring him back right now it would be you, his mate" Sam whispers his voice wavering slightly at the end.