Chapter thirty eight

Rating
|PG13+|mild profanity|

Rating|PG13+|mild profanity|

|JASMINE SANDERS|

The night was often a time for me to sink, drown into my misery. But Uzi was the boat keeping me from sinking.

I looked over at him. His eyes were concentrated on the busy road. Then I thought back when I had just met him. It had been less than four months ago but, it felt like four years.

I wondered if I noticed how cute he was when I first met him. Especially when he smiled. His face would light up like a candle. His eyes word become narrow, sparkly diamonds.

I blurted, “Actually, you’re cute.”  I pinched his tattoed cheek.

The car halted at the red light. He turned to me. His eyes wild.

“Okay--” He grumbled, pressing the car’s break.

Although his skin was too dark to tell, I was sure Uzi was blushing.

“Okay?” I challenged.

“Okay is okay.”

I pinched his cheeks until he pushed my hand off. Making me chuckle to myself. I knew he was trying to hide his adorable smile.

We arrived at Brian’s performance. There, on bold  bloody red letters it said: MARILYN MANSON. His fans’ sweaty bodies crowded the street. Voices I could not recognize surrounded us.

“Stop.” Ordered a security guard, “The performance is cancelled.”

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion.

“Wait, how? Why?” Uzi crossed his  arms.

“Marilyn Manson cancelled the performances. Now, leave, please.”

“Sir, you must be mistaken, Marilyn Manson is my father.”

The guard raised an eyebrow and chuckled to himself, “Sure, that’s what they all say.” He closed the door shut, causing a mob of angry fans to growl.

He had made a promise and just like that he broke it. Maybe he didn't value me enough. Maybe the many years he had missed with me didn't matter. Or maybe---he realized he didn't want to be in my life anymore.

I hated the disappointed frown on Uzi’s face.  It only made me angrier.

I bet he planned this. I bet he wanted to set me and Uzi up. I bet---