Bad habits

Warnings: Unhealthy smoking addiction
————————————————————————

"Dan," Phil says softly as he plays with his lovers hand. Both men are sitting on the couch, relaxing and watching TV. "Do you remember when you stopped smoking?"

Dan sighs and turns the TV down so they could talk without speaking unnecessarily loud. "Yes, why do you ask?" He asks, rubbing Phil's hand with his thumb.

Phil smiles. "It's just a story that warms my heart."

"Warms your heart?" Dan says, laughing unbelievably. "It's a scary story! And the way I treated you.." he mutters the last under his breath.

"Scary for you," Phil says grinning. "To me it showed you really did care... Well I'm assuming it did, don't really remember much of it."

~Flashback~

"Hey babe," Phil chirps, climbing into his boyfriends car. He shakes his head to clear it of the water in it. It was pouring outside, large droplets falling onto the earth. "How was school for you? I had a test today and I don't think I did too bad but I'll probably get a bad grade because that teacher resents me for some reason. It could be because at the beginning of the year-" Phil stops when he sees the expression on his boyfriend's face. He was scowling out the window at a group of people running to their cars.

"What's wrong?" Phil asks, brushing Dan's straightened hair back. The action usually calms the boy but today he shrugs off Phil's touch.

"Nothing," he mutters, starting the car. "Just a bad day at school."

Phil frowns. "Do you wanna talk about-"

"No, I don't," Dan snaps, accelerating out of the parking lot with a jolt. "I don't want to talk about anything so shut up."

Phil sighs and turns away from Dan. He looks out the window at the gloomy sky and tries to reason with himself. "He doesn't really mean that, he's just in a bad mood. He'll apologize later like he always does."

There's a loud slam as Dan opens a little cabinet on the dashboard of the car. He grabs a box of cigarettes and roughly tears the box open. He grabs one between his lips and fumbles with the lighter before lighting it. Phil doesn't say anything, knowing that it's pointless. He's pled and tried to convince him to stop, but as soon as he has a rough day, any streak goes out the window.

He coughs as he inhales a large amount of smoke. Normally Dan would at least put the windows down, but it was raining so he couldn't. It would be fine though, this wasn't the first time he's had to deal with the smoke. Fortunately, Dans cigarette was soon done. Phil puts his shirt over his nose as a filter. Now he would just have to wait for the air blowing through the vents to clear it away. It would be fine-

"Babe," Phil says in warning as Dan grabs another cigarette. "Are you sure you should-"

"Don't tell me what I can or cannot do," Dan snaps, lightning the second cigarette. "You aren't my mum."

"Even if I was you wouldn't listen to me," Phil mutters under his breath, turning back to watching the rain drops glide down the window.

He breaths in through his nose only to find the suffocating smell of cigarettes. It burns his throat. He tries breathing in through his mouth. Even worse, it's like trying to breath in space. There's no oxygen to breath in, so you're left even more breathless than before. He puts his shirt up to his mouth again, but this does very little. The cigarette smoke is clearly visible, dancing around in the car. Phil starts to panic as he begins to go lightheaded. Everything gets hazy, as if it's a dream. He's scared to say anything to Dan, in case he yells at him again.

He rolls down the window a crack, hoping that even a small amount of fresh air will help. Dan immediately puts it back up from his controls, huffing about flooding his car.

Phil's breathing is getting more and more quick and frantic, hoping to breath in anything to help him, to give his burning lungs what they want. No such savior comes. He turns to Dan, about to finally say something, when his vision is corrupted by black and he feels a falling sensation.

~~~~~~~~~

Phil wakes with a jolt, cold rain drizzling down his face. Everything in his vision is foggy. He can only make out color, but even that's hard as rain makes him squint. Phils vaguely aware of someone talking, but it's several moments before he can make out what they're saying.

"-I'm so sorry, I can't believe I let this happen- Please please please wake up, I-I don't know what to do!"

Phil recognizes the voice as Dan's, and reaches up to find him. His vision clears up and Dan's worried face is above his, peering down at him. He looks even more pale than usual, and his hair is completely soaked and messed up.

"Phil! Are you okay?! Oh my g- do you need me to take you anywhere? I-I don't know what kind of attention this needs-"

Phil tries to say, "Dan, I'm fine!" But it gets stuck in his dry throat and his lean sideways as he coughs violently. He gags and feels like he's going to throw up. He spits out a wob of saliva and lays shivering in the cold, wet rain. Dan wraps his arms under Phil's shoulders and picks him up with a grunt. He carries him to his car and carefully sets him in the passenger seat. He runs around to the other side, starts the car, and puts all the windows down, airing out the remaining lingering smell of smoke. He then turns his attention to Phil.

"How-how do you feel?" Dan asks quietly, ashamedly. Phil only shrugs as he stares down at his hand. He couldn't help but feel a small amount of frustration at the other.

Dan reaches over and grabs one of Phil's hands. "Phil, from here on out I'm going to try my hardest to stop smoking."

Phil's head snaps over to Dan. "Really?" He croaks, voice still not completely back.

"Really. I can't let this happen to you again, it could've been much worse. I've.. been selfish recently," he says, biting his lip. "I'm sorry for lashing out at you earlier, I shouldn't take other people's stupidity out on you."

Phil reaches over and gently pulls Dan's lip out from his teeth. "It's alright, Dan," he says, running his thumb over the rest of Dan's lips. "I forgive you as long as you really do try."

~End of flashback~

Phil laughs. "You were so adorably concerned about me."

"Hey, give me a break! If I suddenly collapsed out of nowhere you'd be worried too," Dan says.

Phil smiles back at him. "I'm just glad it lead you to where you are now. Many years clean."

"Only because of you," Dan says, inching closer to Phil. Phil, in response,  hangs his arms around Dan's neck. Dan holds Phil's chin and brings their lips together in a sweet kiss. Phil relaxes into it and pulls Dan closer to him.

"You know," Phil says breaking away from the kiss momentarily before kissing Dan again. He breaks away again. "Kissing you is much more enjoyable when..." Kiss kiss, "... you don't taste like cigarettes."

Dan can't help but laugh, breaking the kiss. He puts his head on Phil's shoulder. "I'm glad I taste better now," he says in amusement.