In a corn maze 🎃

Me and my family went to a corn maze one day at night, so kinda based off of that.
————————————————————————

Phil's POV

I grasped Dan's hand tightly in mine as we waited in line to pay for the corn maze. Fear was bubbling in my stomach as I looked over the map on the wall. It looked like a pretty large maze. Lots of different paths, lots of dead ends, lots of opportunities to get lost.

Dan of course, assured me we wouldn't get lost by saying we would have a map. This did little to calm my nerves as we're both horrible with directions.

We got up to the front desk and a man wearing a heavy coat smiled at us. "2 people?"

"Yes please," Dan replied.

"12.26 pounds please," He said as he clicked the numbers into his little cash register. "If you want to, on the side of your map there's monsters that are placed throughout the maze. If you find them all, there's a little prize for you."

I looked down at the map and saw little cartoon monsters, including zombies, vampires, and other classic scary creatures.

We paid, got a map, and started walking to the corn maze entrance. As it was already dark, we shone our flashlights in front of us to light the path. I couldn't help but glance at the corn as we walked by it, imagining what could pop out at any time. The field looked eery with each stalk of corn being separated by darkness.

We arrived at the entrance, and I got a bad feeling from the fact you could only see a few feet into the field, the rest hiding in darkness.

"Ready?"

I nearly jumped out of my skin at the sudden loud voice beside me. Everything was quiet, save the cold wind blowing through the dry corn, as all the rest of the costumers had probably gone to the smaller maze with their kids. "Y-yeah," I replied, trying to swallow my fear. Dan gave my hand a little squeeze. "C'mon Phil, we have a map, and if worse comes to worse, we can just follow the noise of the giant fan back to here."

Now that he said it, I noticed there was a large fan blowing, inflating up several bouncy castles a ways down the path. Slightly comforted by this, I walked into the maze with Dan following closely behind me, reading the map issuing his flashlight. "Okay, so this first fork.. turn left. Then right, right, left. I'll say the rest when we get to the last direction."

I nodded, my eyes wondering all around. The moon was behind the clouds, not providing much light. I shone my light into the corn wall near me but quickly turned it to the other side when I heard a noise. "Phil," Dan laughed, his flashlight illuminating his face, "chill out, you're okay."

His soft voice calmed me a bit, and I tried to enjoy the peace and quiet of the night. After awhile, I was laughing and talking with Dan, my fears almost completely gone. We had been in the corn maze for about half an hour. "See," Dan said, smiling at me, "this isn't so bad."

I laughed, thinking of how silly I had been earlier. Scared of a little corn maze. "Yeah," I said, kicking a piece of corn that had fallen. "This place isn't that scary."

Dan looked down at his map. "Alright, a left up ahead. I think we're about halfway through. It's funny though.." He trailed off, looking around. "We haven't seen a single monster character yet."

It was true, we hadn't discovered any monsters yet, and the guy made it sound like they would just be on signs placed in plain sight. For some reason, the strange observation made a chill go down my spine.

My senses now more aware, I noticed that the loud fan noise was almost completely gone. Meaning if we got lost, it would be hard to find the entrance. "You-you know where we're going still.. right?" I asked, willing my voice to sound normal but not being able to stop the small stutter.