Chapter 111: I Work Better Alone Anyway

Natasha's pov:

I wake up, but it's still dark. It's probably around 2 or 3. Something feels off. I tug my cuffed arm, but it's not the same. I see Bucky on my left, asleep. He isn't under the covers either. It's too hot for that. He's holding my arm with his left hand. I tug my arm. This usually helps me ground myself, knowing I'm secured. I tug like I'm trying to escape his hold. My breathing gets a little heavier. And, I woke him.

"Hey, what's wrong?" His voice is a little husky and tired.

"This- Y-you can't hold me! I'll escape!" I panic.

"Hey, hey. My arm will stay locked even when I'm unconscious. I wont let go."

"Why did you take off my cuffs? This- uh- D-dangerous-" I fumble over words.

"I couldn't sleep when I found out the click was the sounds of your cuffs. It looks super uncomfortable, maybe even a little painful. It looks..Animalistic."

"It's safe, Barnes."

"You're fine without them."

"But, I need them."

"For what?"

"The cuffs ground me. I know I'm secure, and I'm not a threat if I wake up a different person."

He doesn't respond. He just looks at me void of emotion. Though he does look concentrated on something.

"You're not a threat to me."

"I am, without those cuffs."

"I'm always on high alert, even when asleep. It's something we were both taught. We're both light sleepers. I'll wake up. You are no threat."

"I can escape your grasp."

"Try me."

I pull my arm, but his grasp doesn't falter. I tug and pull as hard as I can, but it does nothing.

"If anything, my arm is more secure than your cuffs. You're talking to the guy who can rip off car doors without a problem."

"And I was trained to improvise." I argue.

"Everybody knows you can't escape the Winter Soldier." He shakes his head.

"The Black Widow might." I warn.

"Might, probably not. I greatly doubt you'll escape. It's just not possible. You have the key to your cuffs, you can't do anything about my arm. My arm wont unlock unless I want it to. The only way to escape it to take it off. You'd have to detach the damn thing, and I'd like to see you do that without waking me."

I go silent and look away.

"Go to sleep. You need rest. It's been a long week for you."

I tug my arm once more, just to be sure.

"I'm not letting go."

I reluctantly lay back down, but we keep our distance. Though we had a close past, we're just friends. Nothing more. That was long ago. He doesn't even feel that way about me anymore. No matter how much I want to get a little closer, I know I can't. I know it's over for us, and that hurts. No it doesn't. The Black Widow doesn't need anyone. The urge to wrap my arms around him only grows the more I think about it, so I need to stop. It's done and over with, end of story. I twist my arm a little, and he slightly tightens his grip reassuringly. Now I can rest assured. Maybe now I can sleep.

"Wake up."

I pretend to still be asleep.

"I know you're awake."

I smirk.

He drags me out of bed while I whine.

"It's too early..." I cry.

"It's 10. Time to wake up." He plops me on the floor and makes me stand on my own.

"Why?" I whine some more.

"You can't sleep in 'till 11. It's not healthy. And, Steve called, by the way."

"Oh?"

"He asked where we were."

"...What did you say?" I don't hide how concerned I am.

"I told him it was fine and that we'd be back soon."

"And what did he say?"

"He asked where we were."

"And you said?"

"None you your damn business."

I put my hand over my chest in relief.

"I told you I'd keep my mouth shut." He smirks.

"Good. I would have hurt you. Badly."

"I know. Now let's go get breakfast."

"...You want pancakes, don't you?" I sigh.

"Yeah..." He looks away and grins sheepishly.

We got breakfast, then we got a bottle of vodka. Hopefully this will last us our stay at this shitty ass motel. We got back home soon after, and I'm honestly kinda glad he came. Not sure if I prefer this, or being alone. I'm thinking about it. But I can't get too happy about this. This is only a one time thing. He's not going to want to come every time, and that's fine. I like being alone. Best not be a burden. Being alone is the best way to go about things, almost always. Scratch that; Always. I'll be fine without him next time. I probably wont even want him with me next time. It's over. I work better alone anyway.