Chapter 20

Natasha's pov:

Me and Clint are searching the store for the candy isle. I hear fast footsteps behind us. I turn around and see Steve on our case. Me and Clint split up searching for the isle. Steve goes after Clint. I turn a corner to see a tall dark man with metal arm faced the other way. I stop and turn around running the other way. I guess he saw me, because he's chasing me.

Shit.

"Natasha!" He calls for me.

I run through the clothes isle to lose him, I hide in a coat rack. He passes me. It worked, wow. I run the other way and resume my search for the candy isle.

Bucky's pov:

Steve walks up to me dragging Clint behind him.

"Found one, where's Natasha?" He asks.

"I haven't seen her, you?" Tony asks me.

"Yeah, I saw her and chased after her. I lost her in the clothing isle." I respond.

"Do you know where she is?" Steve asks the drunken Clint.

He just laughs.

"I'd never rat her out." He finally says.

Clint's phone is ringing. He pulls it out to see who it is. It's Nat. He answers.

"Hey Nat, find the candy isle? They caught me." Clint says.

"Good job. Yeah I found it, what do you want? Kit kats?" she asks.

"You know it. Also, now they know you're in the candy isle. Get the candy and fucking run." Clint warns Natasha.

"Shit ok. I need to find the kind you want. I don't see it Clint."  She says.

I speed off to the candy isle. I'm passing strangers and see the candy isle. I see Natasha looking throughout the isle.

"Can't find the Kit kats?" I ask her with a grin.

"No." She answers, smiling back, then runs off.

I'm chasing her again, and this time, I wont lose her. She's fast, but a little bit drunk. I herd her right towards Tony and Steve. I trail behind so she thinks she lost me.

"Dammit Clint!" She yells at Clint.

"Sorry. There's a cyborg at your 6, run." He replies grinning.

She turns around to see me 3 feet behind her. She tries to run but I catch her. She is struggling to get away, so I hold her with my bionic arm. I throw her over my shoulder and carry her to the car. She's punching my back weakly. It doesn't hurt. I don't think it's supposed to hurt. She could hurt my right now if she wanted. Tony drives the car that the bird took the first time, while Steve and me are in the other car with Clint and Nat.

When we arrive at the tower, the rest of the avengers can only stare. We set down Clint and Nat.

"It was an adventure." I simply tell them. Me, Steve, and Tony all sit down on the couch exhausted. Nat comes up behind me and holds out her bottle of vodka. I grab it and take a sip.

"Good idea." I say as I give it back to her.

"Mhm." She hums as she heads into her room.

"She might kill herself in there." I sigh.

"Probably. That's a valid excuse for you to go in there." Sam says.

"I swear to god Sam I'm going to kill you." I say, closing my eyes.

"Mhm. Sure." He pushes me.

"Sam. Listen, buddy. I'm tired, but I can still fight. And I can still beat your ass." I correct him.

"Guys, don't start this now." Steve interjects into the conversation.

"He started it." I point the blame on Sam.

"Bitch." Sam says under his breath.

Steve put his hand over me to prevent me from getting up and showing Sam's bitch ass who's boss.

"You're right. Valid excuse to leave this room." I sigh, and head over to Nat's room.

Natasha's pov:

My door opens to reveal a tall man with a bionic arm. The same one who ruined my fun earlier.

"I'm mad at you." I say as he shuts the door.

"You were not in your right mind." He excuses his actions.

"Please." I say, rolling my eyes.

"Does that mean no fun?" He asks.

"Yeah. Yeah it does." I respond, sitting on the bed.

"Awww. Well, you'll change your mind." He dares to say.

"What? I wont." I correct the mistaken cyborg.

"Yeah. Yeah you will." He walks towards me.

He reaches out his cybernetic arm to me. I curiously put my hand in his own. He grabs my hand and pulls me up. He wraps his other arm around my waist with a curious, yet emotionless look on his face; an expression I see often in the Winter Soldier. I'm pressed up against him and put my hand on his shoulder. He's acting like the Winter Soldier right now. He's showing similar mannerisms and expressions to that of the Winter Soldier. Does this mean he will change soon? I can tell, the Winter Soldier is calling. Bucky is listening. Right now, him and the Winter Soldier are battling for possession of the body.

"You ok, James?" I ask.

"Uh, yeah." He snaps back to reality. I think it helped, calling him James.

"Is he back?" I ask.

"He wants to be." He answers.

"...Why?" I ask after a short pause.

"You're close. He never leaves, and you're part of the reason why." He says suddenly.

"...What?" I ask, confused.

"When I see you, sometimes, something clicks; it activates him. Sometimes, the sight of you wakes him up." He responds.

"He remembers you." He says after a pause.

I don't know what to say. I'm part of the reason for Bucky's suffering?

"I... I'm sorry."

"For what?" He asks.

"I'm part of the reason for your suffering."

"No, no. It's ok. It's not your fault." He insists.

"But-"

"Stop. It's not your fault. You're fine." He cuts me off.

I wrap my arms around him for a hug. He puts his other arm around me to hug me back. I lay my head on his chest.

"He knows you. You make him feel comfortable. You make him feel safe. You are no burden."

"I bring out a part of you that you want to forget." I tell him.

"That's not your fault. At least you help him. Remember, it's still me." He says.

"...Hm. Ok, Soldier." I smile lightly.

He faintly smiles back. I can still see the Winter Soldier in his eyes. He's calling. There it is again. The steel blue eyes that freeze you in your tracks. The cold eyes that pierce you like knives and bullets. I hear the song of gunfire and screaming ringing in my ears. The very same melody that haunts him every day. I taste the blood and ash. The same blood and ash that keeps him up at 2 in the morning. I smell the gunpowder. The same gunpowder that scarred him for life. I see the blood on his hands, and I think he sees it too. I see the death that he has seen. I see the death that he remembers. The death that haunts him day and night. The war that still battles in his own mind. I hear his silent screaming. He's screaming for help. Pleading, begging for mercy. He wants to be saved. He needs to be saved. He can't get through the pain by himself anymore. The silent burning is just too much for the Winter Soldier. Nobody can hear the soldier's calling. Silent screams haunt his mind.

Forever.