Chapter 93: Sorry Doe

Natasha's pov:

The car ride is so silent. And to be frank, I'm glad it is. He has me handcuffed in the passengers seat. Legs and hands cuffed. We've been driving for a half hour now.

"Why the sudden change of heart?" I break the silence.

"...What do you mean?" His voice is bland and emotionless.

"Why do you suddenly want t go back to Hydra? Before today, you hated them with a passion. I do too."

"Who says I don't now? I still hate them, I just know that there's no escaping them, so it's better to just hand ourselves over. You can't change my mind, Natalia."

"I know I can't. I wasn't going to try. But they might."

"Who?"

"Hydra. Once we get there, you'll regret it. I know you will."

"They own us Natalia, there is no escape."

"That's what SHIELD was working towards, Barnes. They were trying to kill Hydra."

"Cut off one limb, two more grow back. You can't kill Hydra. They're immortal."

"That's a lie. They pretend they're immortal. They pretend they'll never die because they're afraid. They're afraid of SHIELD."

"No they aren't. They don't fear anything."

"Except for SHIELD."

"Natalia. You know what they're like. We used to work for them. We will again soon."

"Barnes, that was a long time ago. When we were there, they were in great condition. Now, they're weak. Things aren't the same over there as they used to be. Remember, they lost their two best agents."

"We didn't effect them that much. And if we did, they they'll be in good condition again soon."

"James, you're going to regret this. They'll throw your brain in the blender again."

"I know."

"Then why are we still headed for Hydra?"

"We don't have a choice, Natalia! If they want us to kill, then we kill. End of story." He snaps.

"...I'm not going to join Hydra again."

"Yes, you are."

"You can take me back, but I'm sure as hell not going back alive."

"Natalia, where did you meet me?"

I look over at him. His eyes stay fixed on the snowy road.

"The red room. With Hydra and the KGB."

"Right. So something good came out of it, right?"

"That's not going to happen again. You know they'll separate us, James."

"No they wont."

"You know they will."

"No, they wont."

"Denial."

"Shut up!"

I look to my side and see a gun between my seat and the door. He still has his eyes fixed on the road. There's why way out.

"I wont...I wont let them."

"Bullshit James. You know that's out of your control."

"You don't know what I can do."

"There's nobody closer to you now than me. I know more than you think."

"I can persuade them."

"They'll overpower you. You're in denial."