Chapter Twenty-Five(Part Two)

"Cause this is my favourite thing by far
And you defy everything I've ever known."

....

Will had no idea what to expect when they got down to the shore of the cove. The cliff walls rose up like intimidating borders around them, a strong orange colour with various shades slashing through them. He wondered if the horizontal shades were indications of water levels from the past.
The orange set off the blue green of the water between the walls and though the thought of swimming or boating too close to the cliffs was frightening in Will's head, the view was actually quite calming.
He understood why Captain's Cove was one of Adora favourite places.
"The cave is over there, you can see the opening. The tide should be getting lower, so I can take you in to look if you like?" Adora pointed and Will's eyes followed her arm.
The entrance to the cave was a black whole in the orange and he felt his head shaking. "No, I don't think I want to see inside there."
Adora chuckled. "Alright, it is pretty dark and dank this time of the year."
All Will could do was nod.
"I like this part of the cove the best." She took his hand and pulled him across the loose sand.
He looked down at their connected fingers and closed his around hers instinctively. It didn't just feel instinctual though, it felt right somehow.
They walked around a jutting corner of orange wall and she dropped his hand and collapsed in the dry sand.
Will blinked and looked down at her as she closed her eyes and started moving her arms and legs in the sand.
"I'm a sand angel!" She cried with glee.
The laughter snorted from his nose so loudly that Will had to put a hand to his face to stop it.
She was serious!
She had no qualms in what she was doing, and sure enough her arms and legs were pushing the sand into the triangular shapes of a dress and two wings.
All he could imagine was the amount of sand in her hair.
But looking down at her smiling face was so adorable he had to make himself breathe.
"Cute." He nodded, finally finding a voice and something that was a safe enough reaction to what he was witnessing.
"The sand is really soft in this part, and it's pretty much always dry. Come on." A hand wrapped around his calf and he felt a gentle tug bring him down to his knees. His hands caught him from falling further.
The sand was amazingly soft here.
His grin was gone as he felt his knees sink in slightly and his fingers clenched some sand.
"Wow." He lifted a fist of sand up and watched it fall through his fingers. "I am not laying down in this though. You can spend the next week washing it out of your hair, but I'm not."
"Baby."
"Excuse me?"
"You're a baby." Her green eyes locked teasingly on him and he felt a blow to his pride.
"I am not. It's just... I've noticed sand gets everywhere, and I admit, I'm not a fan."
She sat up and frowned. "Have you spent much time at the beach since you moved here? Do you swim?"
"I swim." Will nodded. "We have pools where the beaches run out you know."
She smirked. "It's OK, I don't swim much, I won't force you into the water, at least not in winter."
"I don't know if I'd be able to fight waves and currents anyway." He admitted looking out to the blue between the cliff walls.
"You're talking to someone who is barely over five feet tall... You think I can handle them?" There was a laugh in her voice and his shoulders sagged.
"Well, we won't be going swimming anytime soon then, great. I'm glad." He sat down beside her and wiped some of the sand off the denim knees of his jeans.
She pulled her hair over her shoulder and started to shake it gently.
He could see nothing but sand in her almost-black locks.
Her hair wasn't like Marti's, they both wore it long, but Marti's was either straightened, or waved.
Adora's had lazy waves mixed in with almost straight sections. He got the feeling she didn't do much to her appearance.
Not that he thought she needed to.
"You didn't answer my other question, Will, have you been to the beach much since you moved here?"
"No. Admittedly a lot less than I imagined I would." When his parents told them they were moving to a beach town, Will imagined a lot more time spent at the beach.
He wasn't quite sure why he hadn't spent much time there, maybe the grey weather had more to do with it than he thought, but he didn't think it was that.
Maybe it was more non-existent memories.
"Have you seen a sunset?" He could see her looking at him curiously from the corner of his eyes and he smiled slightly before looking away from the water.
"Not here."
"Wow." She was up so fast she threw sand off her jeans towards him with the hurried motion. "I know the best place! Come on." She started to pull on his arm and he got up and followed her back to the dug out steps leading out of the cove.
He watched with a grin as her small feet hit almost every single step on the rush up, while his longer legs allowed him to skip a few steps at a time.