CHAPTER 72: Where's Papyrus?

Start from the beginning

I was silent. I couldn't believe he pulled that card, knowing she took all my LOVE from me, or if that even was the case in the first place.

He's right, though. But I can't leave him! Not with how powerful he thinks she could be!

"I'll come home for that cool dinner made by Papyrus." He said, chuckling. "Now we really have to get moving if we want to catch Chara before she's left the premises." He said. "I'll be fine, Kiddo." He said, using my pet name he gave me all those years ago.

I suppose you really don't need the old memories to save a friendship. Only the new ones.

"Sans—" I tried to say, on the tip of my argument. I was getting ready to fall.

"Please, Frisk." He said. "I need someone to watch and make sure Papyrus is okay." He said. "Don't let him go outside as long as she's here in the HeadQuarters. You want to make sure he's okay too, right?" He explained. "I can fight, don't worry about me. I've trained in combat so I don't have to use my magic."

"Fine." I said reluctantly, "I'll go back to the apartment." I could head the exhale of relief that came from his mouth. "BUT! Only for Papyrus. Don't think you've won yet." I said, crossing my arms. Pausing slightly, I continued, "Come back, okay?"

He grinned, nodding a bit, "Yeah." He said, walking towards the long hallways corridor. I gave him one last glance,worried about what Chara could do to him if he does encounter her, but I pushed that thought away.

If she escaped from that cell, then she would have gone towards the exit, not towards the back of the building. If she's smart.

I headed silently back towards the apartments, how I remembered it from my early childhood. Luckily, I was able to find it if I ran swiftly down the streets, trying not to attract any unwanted attention.

I swung open the doors of the apartment lobby and ran towards the registers took desk to sign in, hoping Papyrus would be angry with us for leaving.

I waited.

And I waited.

And I waited some more.

But nobody came.

I can't wait like this anymore!

It was unusually quiet in the lobby, despite how little people go in and out throughout the day. It's mostly during the night hours because their done with their shifts.

Where is she?! My thoughts screamed at me, hoping she wasn't on her break at this moment.

I quickly became fed up with my impatientness and went closer towards the desk, taking a stack of sticky notes that were conveniently set next to the large monitor she worked on. I briefly stole a pen that was surrounded by many others in a mug next to it for writing notes.

I clicked it once and wrote on the sticky: 'You're probably out on break. I came back, don't mark me as not in. -Frisk.'

I clicked the pen once more, practically throwing it back inside of the cup, and sticking it to the screen of her monitor quickly.

Looking back on this, I could have seen it, no, I would have seen it if my thoughts weren't so jumbled at the time. But instead, I ran past the desk and into the elevator.

I didn't even think about the pile of dusty receptionist clothes, piled on the floor next to her chair.

But instead, I ran past, hoping to find Papyrus in the midst of this, to hope he didn't follow us or try to find us afterwards.

Papyrus! I'm coming! Hang in there!

Riding the long elevator down, I ran to the correct room number and started banging on the door, realizing I didn't have the key.

"Papyrus! Papyrus! Open up!" I yelled, noticing that the groceries on the ground were still there in front of the cold door. "Papyrus! This isn't funny! If you're here open up!" I said, pounding harder and faster. "Papyrus! Papyrus! If you're angry that's okay! Just let me inside!"

Come on! Come on! If only that receptionist was at work. I could have asked her if Papyrus had ran outside of the building.

"Papyrus-" I yelled again, hearing and seeing the rattling of the doorknob ever so slightly. I stayed silent, backing up a little as the doorknob turned so slowly, too slowly, for Papyrus at least.

"Papyr-" I said in a calmer voice, seeing the door open in a slow manner. I quickly realized, seeing the human fingers wrap themselves around the frame of the door, that this was not Papyrus.

No-

The nails were long, and they scratched the wood with an unpleasant sound. The door opened fully revealing the eyes and elongated smile of my 'twin'.

Chara stood there smiling, a knife in her hand, and the tip of it was resting on the corner of her mouth. Her blood red eyes were unblinking, and wide with insanity. She opened the door up fully showing the dark, empty apartment. Much to my relief, Papyrus wasn't anywhere in sight.

How did she get in?
No- the question I have to be asking is..

Where IS papyrus?!

I tried to ask her the question, the most important that was on my mind, but no words would come out. My heart was beating rapidly, and my adrenaline was coursing through my body at a rapid pace.

I can't speak! Why can't I—

Chara rushed at me, giggling and laughing mechanically and uncontrollably. She pinned me to the wall, holding my neck and only allowing the tipest of my toes to touch the ground.
She slammed me against the wall, earning a smile from her. She allowed me to breathe, much to her dismay.

"Who knew you'd be so easy to catch?" She giggled slyly. "I thought that comedian would come rushing back for his brother" she took a deep inhale, as if her words were using a massive amount of air: "looks like you two are getting along smoother than I predicted." She Inhaled deeply again, twitching her head slightly, creating a face of anguish. "You're not ready." She said, twitching again, her eyes brimming with blackened tears.

They streamed down her face messily, and her smile was locked in place. The stare-down was intense, and I almost looked away, but her hand kept my face straight.

What is she going to do?
She might have let me breathe, but she's giving me a very limited amount of oxygen. I could pass out at any second.

"...w.hat.. do yo....U." I tried to ask her, but my words quickly failed as she tightened her grip.

I can't breathe! She'll die!

The darkness quickly faded around the corners of my eyes, and her face of insanity quickly turned to anger.

And that was the last thing I saw.

"You dirty liar."