nonextant ; yang jeongin

his point of view

genre: angst

◾◾◾◾◾

Raising my head up I closed my eyes and let the rays of the sun beat my face. I crunched open my eyes a bit and saw the blue sky through my eyelashes, its surface being dotted by countless clouds that seem so soft to touch. I brought my head back down and sat on the grass cross-legged, taking out a brown, leather notebook and setting it on my palms.

I chuckled, biting my lip anxiously as I slowly opened the notebook, which was personally addressed to me. Its cover was adorned with gold spots, the small dots encircling my name that was printed in block letters. I traced the embossed lettering, the edges and all, appreciating the fact that much effort was done for the result to be this beautiful.

Opening the notebook I smiled upon seeing the fine writing. It was clear that a woman had wrote this especially for me, and what made ot a bit authentic was the fact that the paper was a bit faded, stained with some tears and certain kinds of substance, and smelled like old paper.

For Yang Jeongin.

I softly held one corner of the paper and turned to the other page. Deciding to read the content aloud, I cleared my throat and spared the marble square before me a glance.

I

"February 8, 2016. Monday. At exactly 8:00 in the morning I arrived at Busan, to visit a friend. There I found you standing under a lamppost while constantly checking your phone, your leg bouncing up and down as the drink in your hand slowly condensed. Beads of sweat started to trickle down your forehead like a fall of tears, and with your braced teeth you bit your bottom lip in anticipation. I felt like I had been checking you out for eternity, and forgive me if I sound like a total creep right now. But as each second pass with my eyes trying to capture yours I feel like we had known each other for years despite that I have only seen you for less than a minute.

"Finally, you looked to your side and our eyes met. I thought I was gonna die out of embarrassment because you caught me staring at you like some sort of thief ready to attack in broad daylight, but I was frozen as I stared into your deep, dark eyes. You smiled oh so brightly I couldn't help but get butterflies in my stomach. This may sound so cliche but it was the first thing I felt. I knew then I had to get to know you. So, with the dumbest thing in my head, I smiled back."

I chuckled and turned to the other page, but not before I had spared another glance at the object in front of me. Longingly I gazed at the crafted letters, a feeling of nostalgia hitting me in the face like a brick. Then, I turned my attention back on the notebook. Clearing my throat once more, I spoke again.

II

"February 14, 2016. Tuesday. We met again, on the same lamppost at the same time. We were both alone, we both hated watching couples get all lovey-dovey  with each other, and we both wanted some company. So, with a force driving us both nuts, I don't know what sort of sorcery had struck you to ask me out. We both didn't have any plans, so I agreed. And, being the idiot you are, we ended up in the same coffee shop where you got your cappuccino. It was a lame date, in others' opinion, but it was the first time someone had taken me out, so I was happy. Considering that we were both strangers to each other, we spent hours talking about ourselves, what I like, what you dislike, and whatnot.