12. Moonlight + MaryJane

Part 1/2 for this update bc ILY

I really don't want to process any of the crap I've been dealing with lately. I just want to escape for the night. I'll face all this drama head on tomorrow, but for right now, I'm done.

I let myself zone out as I pull into Jayce's driveway, shelving all of my emotions for the night, promising to take them down, dust them off and deal with them tomorrow. Walking into the house, I find that it's not quite as packed as I'd expected, but there are still at least a hundred seniors here, with a handful of juniors - me being one of them.

Zeroing in on the beer in the kitchen, I chug one down and start feeling less stressed within minutes. I nod to a couple people I share classes with, but for the most part, I don't know anyone here. That's the only downfall of being unsocial - when you randomly decide to emerge from your shell for a night, you don't feel very comfortable.

"BODY SHOTS!" Adam, the first guy Jayce had beaten up for me, bounds into the kitchen wielding tequila and limes. Girls and guys alike perk up and make their way towards Adam, who is already putting salt on a girl's chest.

Oh my fucking god, everyone here is a horny sack of shit.

Including me.

Damn it.

I swiftly down two shots and duck out of the kitchen before I can get dragged into sucking salt off some sweaty person I barely know. I wander through the house, passing people I've seen but have never talked to and eventually make it into the living room, which is pristinely decorated. I count 10 people gathered in a circle, playing spin the bottle. Apparently we're all 12 here.

I spy a small, empty deck area on the opposite side of the room, through a set of French doors. I step into the cool night air, instantly wishing I had spiked hot chocolate or a hot toddy to keep me warm.

I lean on the stone railing, look out at the vineyard, which is bathed in silver starlight, and take a deep breath. Now that I have some alcohol coursing through my veins, my mind betrays me completely and starts thinking about Jayce.

The amount of self-control it had taken to not let him kiss me at the ball was absolutely unheard of for me. If I could go back and relive the moment, I'm not sure I would have been able to resist twice. All I can think about is his big, brown eyes and wild hair, his golden skin and intoxicating smile.

Why is tipsy Fallon so fucking powerless to his damned man charms? Trying to get him out of my head, I groan and bend at the hips to rest my forehead between my hands on the cold stone balcony railing.

"Everything okay?" A voice breaks through the silent night air.

My heart jolts in my chest and I look up, shocked from realizing I'm not alone out here after all. Jayce (of course) is leaning against the house, dressed in all black, with what appears to be a blunt in between his fingers. My stomach knots as I take in his incredible appearance.

"What are you doing out here?" My heart is still racing from the surprise.

Jayce chuckles. "I live here?"

"Right," I smooth my dress down as heat pricks my cheeks.

His head tilts back and rests against the wall as he looks up at the sky, "I didn't think you'd come."

Jesus fuck, his jawline is so damn perfect.

"Free alcohol," I shrug, tipping the beer bottle toward my mouth.

He smiles and shakes his head. "And here I thought maybe you came to ask me to finish what we started at the convention center," his voice is bored as he continues staring at the sky.