1. Gold + Gifts

"Damn it," I exhale under my breath. I struggle to get a grip on my belongings as brown droplets of coffee splash onto my sweater. Awesome.

I readjust my backpack, while managing to keep hold of my gym bag, phone, coffee cup and still closing the car door.

"A little help?" I growl at my brother, Haven, who is looking at me from the driver's side with an annoying smirk.

"Nah, I think you're doing great, sis!" He flashes me a deviant smile, slings his leather jacket over his shoulder and heads off. As he walks past the cars in the student parking lot, two girls just so happen to pop out of their shining, expensive vehicles and make their way toward the school with him. What a coincidence.

Haven is a year older than myself, he's a senior. He's also the star forward for Goldcrest High School's undefeated soccer team - one of the best in Northern California - and is something of a heartthrob. With big green eyes, olive skin, thick blonde hair and an attitude even bigger than his large biceps, it seemed like almost every girl (and a healthy handful of guys) wanted to be his - even if they were already in a relationship.

Even though it's only the beginning of September, this Monday morning is a chilly one in Goldcrest, California and I'm extremely grateful for the coffee that's keeping my insides toasty.

I make my way inside the high school, happy to escape the cool morning wind. I trudge to my locker, passing hundreds of students. The hallways are buzzing with excitement and the students' faces are alight with the hope of a new start. It's the first day.

Even though I only had about four hours of sleep last night, I can still admit that the flurry of the first day is intoxicating. The thrill of a new year, new classes, new people and new opportunities can truly lift even the darkest spirit.

Goldcrest High School, proud home of the Eagles, is huge. There are over 3,000 high schoolers that go here, so it's very easy to blend in and fly under the radar, which is my preference. I've never understood the allure of popularity, being known by many and having tons of friends. I have Presley, my best friend, whom I trust completely and enjoy being with more than almost anything. That's honestly enough for me. Besides, it's not like I have time for tons of friends - between taking Advanced Placement classes, playing for the girl's soccer team and running my business, I can barely keep track of myself, let alone handfuls of friends.

I finally reach my locker, the same one I've had for the past two years, and stuff my gym bag, books and jacket inside. I grab my AP Biology book for first period and check my phone, realizing that I still have about 15 minutes before the bell rings.

I dash into the bathroom to attempt to get some of this coffee out of my sweater before it settles and stains. Thanks, bro.

Wetting the coffee spot under the sink, I don't even attempt to hide my annoyance. This was a new shirt. I manage to get the brown liquid out and step back to look at myself in the mirror - despite the large wet spot, which will dry soon, I still look decent, especially considering I woke up late this morning and only had time to pull my hair into a bun, dab some nude shimmer onto my eyelids and put a couple swipes of mascara on. I had hoped to put a bit more effort into my appearance, especially for the first day, but I don't look too terribly bad, so that's good.

I'm wearing an oversized nude knit sweater, dark skinny jeans, tan ankle boots and, since I didn't have time for contacts this morning, my glasses. At the last minute, I had grabbed some pearl stud earrings and a knock-off golden Michael Kors watch from my jewelry box.

 At the last minute, I had grabbed some pearl stud earrings and a knock-off golden Michael Kors watch from my jewelry box