Chapter 1

A/n: First chapters always suck and are the hardest to write (and read) so please bare with me and give it a chance! It will get better, I promise!

Darien's POV

The rain pattered against the window and slid down the glass. I watched as the drops rolled down the sill, silently cheering on the one in the lead, hoping it would reach the bottom first. I had always loved the rain, the way it looked as it poured down and the rushing sound it makes fascinated me. I smiled when the rain drop made it to the bottom, beating the other one. I was such a child when it came to things like that, but it amused me.

"Darien, did you hear me?" The soft voice of my best friend, Nicole, rang in my ears, pulling me away from my thoughts.

"Sorry, what?" I turned around on my bed to looked at her. Her face held annoyance as she rolled her eyes and huffed out a sigh.

"I asked you if I could paint my nails," she repeated her question.

"Why would you ask me that?" I let out a laugh and adjusted my sitting position, settling with crossing my legs.

"Because I'd be using your polish..." She said as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"Yes, you can paint your nails, Nicole," I rolled my eyes and let out a giggle. I watched as she walked over to my shelve across the room and looked at all the colours I had aligned. After a few minutes, she settled on a light pink colour.

"You should paint yours, too," she cringed and looked down at my toe nails jokingly. I rolled my eyes once again before standing up and choosing a colour, completely agreeing with her suggestion.

I picked up a navy blue colour and sat back down on the bed with my knees up in front of me. I dipped the brush in the bottle and then swiped it along one of my nails, scrunching my nose up at the strong smell of it.

"So did you watch the news yesterday?" Nicole broke the silence after a few minutes.

"Yeah. Pretty stupid, huh?" I looked up at her and she shrugged.

"Yeah, I can't believe that someone would do that." She shook her head in disgust and made a gagging noise. I laughed and nodded.

"It's been going on for almost a year, it's not like it's shocking that it happened again." I shrugged and moved onto my next foot.

I heard her let out a sigh before speaking, "But it's still awful. It's been going on for far too long and so many young lives have been lost." She shook her head and closed the nail polish bottle, wiggling her toes around to help them dry faster.

"Don't you ever wonder who is doing it?" I asked and closed my own nail polish.

"All the time. I love that colour on you by the way," she pointed to my toes and smiled.

"Thank you.." I laughed. "And like, we never know who is going to be next, it could be us," I said and walked over to put the bottles away.

"Don't even say that!" Nicole raised her voice with a panicked look on her face.

"Calm down, what are the odds that it will be?"

"Still, please don't jinx it," she begged and lied down.

"Besides, you don't even have the look that he seems to be going for," I looked at her and her face scrunched up.

"What would that be?"

"The news said brown hair and brown eyes." I said.

"You have brown hair and brown eyes," she said quietly as her eyes widened. I just shrugged, but on the inside I was actually panicking.