Chapter 11| Love

Natsu awoke with a headache that could easily be mistaken as a migraine. His walk to the feeding pods was staggered and his throat was parched.

He strolls into the dinning area finding his father and Lucy talking and discussing a subject in which he was not apart of. With sleepy eyes and a hunched back he waved, "good morning father, good morning Lucy."

He opened the door to the restroom to do his business such as use the toilet and brush his teeth until he realized the problem.

"Father! Lucy! W-hat?" He freaked with widen eyes, "Father it isn't what you think!"

"Oh? It isn't? So what Lucy was just explaining to me was a lie? You didn't bring a complete stranger into our home? One who is basically a criminal?" Igneel inquired with a raised right eyebrow.

Natsu lowered his head in shame, "no father, she did not lie."

"I-I'm sorry," Lucy said softly, "if you desire I shall leave, or you may turn me in to the authorities, or as Natsu says, superiors."

Igneel showed a bit of an surprised expression, "I didn't know Humans were educated to the point of speaking so formal."

"Not most are, but I was privileged enough to have a clever and witty mother as well as a brawny and smart father who would never leave me." Lucy sighed. "But as I informed you earlier, I left them. To fulfill and satisfy my selfish thirst for the truth, one that got Natsu in trouble."

"If you where still in your community, what would you be doing?" Igneel asked interested in the Human ways not having any ideas despite the information she had given to him.

"I would most likely be at school, five days ago is when I started my expedition to find the Newpeople. Maybe I'd be at home helping my mother cook and clean or helping my father fix the hole in my roof that caused leaks." Lucy chuckled to herself, "but I am not telling you this for you to pity me. Do anything you seem fit. But know this," Lucy's face showed seriousness unlike her facial expression earlier that showed an expression of gratitude and a smile, "I will not rat my village out. Just because I wanted to achieve the truth doesn't mean harm must come to my family."

"Family?" Igneel asked, "your mother and father are your family, not everyone in the village."

Lucy shook her head, "every Human is family, we all see that. Everyone helps each other, comfort each other, provide love and warmth for each other."

"Love? That such a simple word."

"But even that simple word can mean so much. Love is important, to everyone." Lucy looked at Natsu and back at Igneel, "Don't you love Natsu?"

"I admire Natsu for his heroism and almost perfect behavior. And I enjoy his company," Igneel said. "But I scoff at the use of that word."

"So you don't love him?" Lucy questioned. Igneel shook his head, "No, being a parent is a job, those who die early are considered to have quit, those who grow older are considered retired people. When a child grows older the parent can retire at the age of fifty."

Natsu felt a pain go though his heart. His father didn't love him? But then again, he didn't really understand the whole concept of love. Retirement always ended with the parent dying. And his father was basically waiting for his retirement; dying at the ripe age of fifty seemed more appealing then having children.

"Do you love me Lucy?" Natsu questioned. Lucy's face turned a similar color to his own hair as she looked at him.

"I'm not sure."