Chapter 6| Testing

Humming and bobbing his head is what Natsu did for any bit of entertainment. Normally bobbing of the head would be considered rude if it was a nod, but Natsu was by himself in a secluded room.

Every six months the community rulers
-the people who make the rules-send people of the same ages to take a test.

The test was for their future. To see what their interest were the older they got. It helped with finding spouses and future careers.

The secluded room was white and quiet until they asked him about what sounds he likes the most. He picked the sounds of birds chirping and singing.

"Please exit from your left, do not repeat any questions or sounds you heard today, and thank you. Natsu Dragneel, Good feedings." He heard from the intercom in the room. They gave him a new feeding port to plug into his home to feed. He was grateful because his old feeding port was getting rusted and it hurt to feed from it; almost begging to use his late mother's.

"Hey. How was it?" Gray asked as Natsu walked home. He shrugged but apologized afterwards. "It was fine, always gets me nervous."

"I feel the same way. It's my turn now, see you later Natsu. I'll bring my port to your home so we can feed together." Gray said. Natsu nodded and walked back to his home.

He closed his eyes, trying to remember the sounds of the birds. He's never seen one in person before, but people who work on boats and travel to different places for wood and other supplies always mention them. How beautiful and colorful and cheerful they were, there were some that were dark and ominous, but he didn't mind.

"Father," he started as he opened the door. "I'm home!"

"Good afternoon son, how was testing?" His father asked finishing up his feeding.

"Normal, can't wait to finish it soon." Natsu said. Igneel chuckled.

"You still got one more year to go, then you are free from testing and into work." Igneel said, "and you're going to make me proud and work with lumber correct?"

Natsu nodded, "Yes I will. And I will make mother proud as well."

Igneel nodded and picked up a book from besides him. All books were non-fiction. The rulers of the community would never allow one's mind to run wild.

"I'm going to recharge a bit, testing made me a bit exhausted."

"Okay son, see you in a bit."