Chapter Twenty-Two | First World

Start from the beginning

"Mm, he ordered the execution of every Qiu member who resided within Xe. Which also included his own family, as his cousin was the son of a Qiu sect concubine." ZhangFeng explained.

ShuNing sighed, "No one is safe in that man's eyes."

When the group were finally greeted and welcomed through the set of doors, the layout of the room was drastically different from the auction-house, where everything was formal. This one instead, although in a large space, felt informal yet regal. This room had obviously been selected in yet another way of directly showcasing the wealth of Xinshan.

They didn't care where they sat, only that ZhangFeng made sure they were at least a couple of seats away from their fellow clan members. All ShuNing recognised about the two men, was that they wore the elite uniform that were given to the elemental cultivators. Though they were forbidden from using their skills, they were still more than happy to show their abilities by wearing the formal attire.

There were other people present, like ZhangFeng and ShuNing, who wore outstanding robes that showed nothing of their allegiances, so they didn't stand out too much.

Whilst ZhangFeng appeared relaxed, like he was used to such environments, ShuNing felt a tad wary. He didn't want to put a foot wrong, especially seeing how seriously his companion was taking this event. He had to admit though, he always felt safer sitting close beside ZhangFeng, who ultimately didn't mind being used as a wall.

The man who conducted this more intimate auction, was none other than the same man as the day before. This time though, he wore more refined, expensive fabrics which seemed only to inflate his ego. The man entered and greeted them all respectfully, keeping his brimming-excitement under-wraps.

With little else in terms of greeting, the auction commended with the first item. ShuNing was surprised to find that on this occasion, the person who was interested had to declare their biddings out loud. Which meant that everyone knew who it was interested, and who their rivals were. Annoyingly, because of their close proximity with those around, ShuNing couldn't turn to his encyclopaedia and ask what most items were; so he begrudgingly sat listening with most of it going completely over his head.

Some women who had been brought as accessories on the arms of men, appeared in similar-state-of-mind, which did nothing to add to ShuNing's deflated pride.

A hand slipping onto his leg, specifically just above his knee, startled the daydreaming youth. He looked to ZhangFeng, whose expression was as calm as ever as he astutely listened to what was going on around them. Unlike before, when he would try to wriggle free, this time he wondered what it was the other man wanted.

He didn't have to think for long as the auctioneer brought on the next item.

Judging by the visible reaction of most people in the room, ShuNing guessed that whatever this was, everyone wanted it. But from ShuNing's inexperienced eyes, it just looked like a fairly-attractive crystal. It was mainly turquoise with dark blues and sharp purples intertwined within it. By how the minerals were formed inside, it looked like a mini lightning storm.

When the biddings began, those around didn't care for their image, nor did they wield the patience that ZhangFeng seemed to be using. Various large sums were shouted out, and when it kept going ShuNing felt dizzy at the amount of zeros he was envisioning. Oddly, the man beside him, who was just as eager to get this particular rock, judging by the light squeeze ShuNing felt on his thigh, had yet to say anything.

Clearly he wasn't here to play, and was waiting for the last person to give their highest bid.

"At thirty million Xin—"