Chapter 37- Remnants of Yesterday

EMILY'S POV

Dinner was not as interesting as I have expected it to be. They were all talking about the trafficking case, most especially about Antonio de Luca's family and I just sat there, eating quietly as I listen to them. I feel like I have enough already. I just want to get over this right now. But I can't. I just can't.

His father is still somewhere out there, and who knows? He will bail his son out of prison soon, and they will get back at us...

Xander, the police, my family, my friends, the news...Every time they talk about it, I can't help but recall how my body jarred with each blow, how my stomach coiled at the fear of that huge needle, and how the pain seared through my skin and took away every feeling of safety I ever had. I would feel nauseous every time I remember the feeling of that drug being injected to me. I still have these bruises in my skin...

"Kitten, are you okay?"

Xander's arm around my back has pulled me back to Earth. I blink, and then realize that everyone's eyes are all focused on me now.

"Sweetie, what's the matter? Tell us what you're thinking." My mom's face twists with worry while my dad runs a hand through his hair as he sighs in frustration. He then speaks,

"I have already talked to Porter and they will send two bodyguards tomorrow. They will be looking out for us and ensure our safety, most especially yours, Sweetheart,"

I force a smile on my face to erase that problematic look on their faces.

"Come on guys, I'm fine. I'm just...tired, you know, but I'm fine."

Xander drags his chair backward and stands up, "Do you want to go to bed now?"

I literally just woke up an hour ago.

He offers his hand at me while giving me a persuading look. I'm not sure if he wants me to go to sleep now, or he wants to continue what Lance has interrupted a while ago...

One thing's for sure, the latter has changed my mood and is taunting my groin right now.

I nod at him in response and let him take me to my room. After brushing our teeth together and helping him change the dressing on his shoulder, he then made it sure that I have taken my anti-anxiety pills and other medicines before putting me to bed like I'm his baby girl. m

My mom follows us and kisses me on the forehead before slipping a blanket over my body and leaving the room with Xander.

"I think we should bring her to the hospital." I overhear her voice behind the door.

"Rebecca, your daughter is still in the acute phase of heroin withdrawal. It has only been five days since the last injection and her brain and body are still adjusting. Don't worry, she has her medicines with her. We just have to make sure that she's comfortable all the time." Xander explains like he knows every inch of me.

Well, he does...right?

"Will she be fine, Xander?" My mom's voice has a trace of anxiety in it, and I hate it when I stress her out.

"She will be, Rebecca. And I'll make sure of that."The confidence in my fiancè tone has somehow energized me.

Xander opens the door afterward and the sound of him locking it has my clit hurt for some reason. He then switches the lights off, turns the bedside lamp on, and joins me in the bed. I am lying on my side, hugging my pillow while pretending to be sleeping.

Seconds later, I feel his body pressing against my back and matching my body's form. I could feel the passion in his arms as he wraps them around me from behind, trapping me in his neverending warmth. As he embraces me, I can feel his love with the way his heart beats against my skin.