Chapter 35- Flashes of Pain

XANDER'S POV

Emily and I went to a private hospital this morning to have my shoulder checked by Dr. Matthews, an orthopedic consultant through a referral from L.A. since I requested to continue my treatment here. I showed him my previous MRI scan results and we discussed the full details of my treatment.

That night when they brought me to the hospital unconscious, they only removed the bullet and prevented further blood loss and since the gunshot wound was now confirmed to have damaged joint articulation, Dr. Matthews also requested some more investigations that I have to do tomorrow so he can rule out the presence of bullet fragments in the area. After our discussion, I finally took an appointment next week for another shoulder arthroscopy to fix the injured joints and also for debridement.

Emily was really worried about this. I have never seen her smile since this morning and she's also a lot quieter than normal, as opposed to her restlessness before we left the house.

"Cheer up, Kitten. This is just a minor surgery and nothing big. I will only need a month of rehab and it will be back to normal." I assure her while pinching her chin.

Breathing a deep sigh, she hugs me from my side while caressing my injured shoulder.

"Okay, but you should let me take care of you. From changing your dressing, your clothes, in the shower...everything. Okay?" she firmly says.

"Baby—"

"Shh," she has already put a slender finger against my lips before I could even disagree. "I'll take no for an answer, Mister."

I grin at her, amused by her sexy expression. I really can't take her seriously whenever she tries to be serious.

"Sure, Wifey. You're the boss."

She then smiles, finally, and my heart did too.

From the hospital, we went straight to the Evanston police department to give our full statements separately. Jace and Amber have already done their part this morning and now it's our turn.

We are greeted by Officer Diaz and two other officers as soon as we stepped inside the station. They are congratulating me and other stuff when my favorite persons right now, police detective Greg Wayne emerges from the back and looking so excited to meet us.

"Dr. Alexander Greene, our hero!" he walks around the desk to meet us and brings his arm forward for an appreciating handshake, in which I enthusiastically accepted.

"Pleasure to see you again. Welcome back to Evanston."

"Likewise, Detective."

He invites us to sit on the leather couches as he checks up on Emily.

"So how's the search for de Luca? Any progress? We should find him as soon as possible." I ask after a few moments.

"Our team along with two CIA agents are working their best on it right now. I already issued an APB and the FBI has already dispersed the information around the world through social media, news channels, and websites and they are keen on giving rewards to those who can give us at least a lead."

"I-I think I saw him," Emily mumbles with her eyes keen on Antonio de Luca's stolen picture which was on the headlines of the newspaper on her lap. Greg and I glance at her in utter curiosity.

"You did? Where?" The detective eagerly inquires.

"He went inside the back door when the police came." she closes her eyes and rubs her temple. "I don't why I'm suddenly remembering this. My head hurts."

I am definitely sure he was with Nina in that underground auction hall but when Logan threatened me at gunpoint, I lost him.

"It's okay, Baby. No need to force yourself to remember him. This guy is skillful in what he does,"

"Yes, he is. You see, criminals like him have great visions, as well as plan A to Z in their hands that they can execute anytime. They are always prepared." the detective shakes his head in exasperation. "With the help of investigators from L.A., we are piecing together how the precisely coordinated escape was done."

"No chance with the CCTV?" I probe.

"The problem is it's his own hotel and he has control over everything so we don't have any clue on how he managed to escape."

"I thought everything's over now," I hold Emily's hand and let out a long, frustrated breath. "We have to find him as soon as possible."

"We'll be sending bodyguards for you in the meantime, as for your safety."

"Thank you. I appreciate that."

The inspector finally appears and together with Greg and another officer, I was then led inside a small, bare room with a single metallic table and a couple of basic chairs. The observation window with one-way glass was kind of intimidating but I was able to get through the interrogation and answered all their questions. It was just like a casual conversation with them asking for the full details. I was also satisfied with my answers because I pretty much told everything from that time when I found the grocery bags in that store, as well as Nina and Dr. Frank Morrison's involvement in my life and work. Greg Wayne also knows more than half of the story so it was just easier for me to open up to them.

When it's Emily's time to come inside, I felt her hand grasps mine.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"C-can you come with me?" she literally looks like a nervous little kitten right now. I glance at Greg to ask for his permission but he dismisses her request with a slight shake of his head.

"Just...pour everything out to them, okay? Everything you have remembered and don't leave any detail behind. I'll be right here outside, waiting."

"Okay..." she softly obliges while bowing her head in defeat.

"Detective, just take it easy and slowly for her, please. It has only been four days and she hasn't fully recovered yet." I subtly mouth my request near his ear.

"Don't worry. I'll take care of her."

"Thanks, Man."

"Sure," he winks at me before popping another gum into his mouth. I then watch him as he assists my girl inside the interrogation room.

Half an hour later, Emily emerges from the hallway with a blank expression on her face.

"Hey, are you okay? How did it go?" I take both of her hands into mine and rubs it comfortingly.

"It was fine, but I really feel nauseous right now," she weakly mumbles as she holds on to my chest. Her eyes look so sunken and her gait is unsteady.

"Come on, let's go home now." I put my arm around her tight as I assist her toward the exit doors.

Detective Wayne catches up from behind to inform us about Jace and I's scheduled interview with a local news show next week. I'm a bit hesitant in accepting the invitation because my mind is focused on Emily right now, who looks like she is about to throw up.

Stepping out of the station, we are then blinded by unexpected flashes of cameras and microphones being shoved near our lips. After letting my eyes adjust to the blinding lights, I finally make out a group of people who have gathered in front of the building; journalists, cameramen, media, and some bystanders.

I don't have time for this. I wrap my arms around Emily to secure her as we make our way toward my car.

*****To be continued*****
A/N: Thanks for reading!
Vomments ( Votes + Comments ) are greatly appreciated!
♥️