I like you and you like me, what do you say?

Brook's POV

Things have been a bit crazy. With people changing sexes, someone pretending to be a different sex, or someone like the same sex, it pretty left Jeff and me to figure out what the hell was going on with us.

We walked in, and I opened the fridge, pulling out something to drink as he grabbed the container with cake. Thanks, Dad, for that.

I sliced up a couple of pieces of cake and placed them on plates as we dug in.

"You have a little something," he said, pointing at my face.

"Where," I asked.

He took some frosting and placed it on my lips, "right there."

"Jeff," I gave him a look as he leaned in and gently slid the tip of his tongue over them, licking the frosting off.

"Mmm, tasty," he grinned.

I rolled my eyes at him as he chuckled.

"So, I was thinking, that you and I could go on a date this Saturday," he suggested.

I looked at him, surprised.

"Unless you don't want to," he said as I blurted out, "I would love to." He looked at my surprise. "I mean, yeah, sure, whatever," I acted casual. He smiled, and I smiled as we both chuckled.

We finished our cake, and of course, he stayed for dinner along with Corbin. After dinner we hung out, just talking until they both left and I went to get ready for bed.

I heard a knock at my door to see Blake standing there. He walked in, "so you and Jeff, huh?"

"Is it weird to like your best friend?"

"Not weird at all. Sometimes the best relationships come from your best friend. I know because Corbin's mine," he said honestly.

"I'm glad you're happy. I know you weren't for a long time," I said truthfully.

"I guess it takes that one person to show you it's okay to be who you are. For a long time, I denied who I was. Figured it would be easier, but Corbin makes it okay," he smiled.

That made me happy. Blake deserves to be satisfied. He dealt with more than anyone, and I give him a lot of credit. He came a long way. I hugged him and went to bed. I thought about Saturday night, and a smile grew upon my lips. With that, I drifted off to sleep.

The next few days, Jeff and I talked. Brenda kept up her charade, dressing as her brother. Although I think something was developing between her and Felix. I'm curious to see how her assignment turns out.

If it can bring awareness to an issue like this, maybe, people will understand.

Saturday night arrived, and Jeff came to pick me up. We went and grabbed some dinner, then went roller skating. I had to admit it was a lot of fun. We rolled around on the wood floor as we laugh and talked.

After a couple of hours we decided to hand in our skates, we went to grab hot cocoa. We walked into a coffee shop and ordered two hot cocoas with whip cream. We got our drinks and made our way to a booth. I slid into one side, and he slid into the other.

"That was so much fun," I said as I removed my coat.

"I wanted to do something different. Everyone goes to dinner and the movies, but I prefer to do more physical activities. Plus, we watch movies all the time," Jeff reasoned.

"Can't argue with that," I giggled.

"The truth is I like you Brook. I always have. You're my best friend next to Corbin and Felix, but to me, you've always been special," he said thoughtfully.

"I think it's because we've been friends the longest. I still remember when Chaz pushed me down at recess. You walked up and punched him," I chuckled.

"That guy has always been an asshole," he sighed.

"But you protected me like Blake would have," I told him.

"I still remember meeting your family. That was crazy."

"Why because one dad is strict and the other isn't

"No, because your dad likes to make cakes," he laughed.

I couldn't help but laugh. Cole looks mean with all his tats, but he's a big softy who likes to bake.

"It wasn't always like that from what they told us. Wade was always the one who likes to have fun, and Cole was more quiet and serious. They even broke up then got back together. When Cade came into their lives, it was like it flipped," I explained to him.

"It's nice. To be able to come home and have parents that get along and love you," he said wistfully.

"You're parents still fighting?"

"Not lately. Dad takes off, and mom cries. He comes home, and they pretty much don't speak. I prefer fighting. At least I know they still care about each other," he said somberly.

I got up and slid into the booth next to him, "Well, you have my family and me. You know when things get too bad, you can always come to my house."

He looked at me, "and this is why I love you."

That took me by surprise, but I also knew why. I understood Jeff better than anyone. We had always been close. All he wanted was to know someone cared. That's why he usually had dinner at my house and stayed until it was time for bed. Wade and Cole didn't mind. They preferred him somewhere where he was okay.

"You don't have to say it back. But it's the truth. Brook, I've been in love with you since we were kids. I didn't want to ruin our friendship if you didn't feel the same way," he told me.

I leaned in and kissed him. He kissed me back before I pulled back from him, "I do. I'm just not ready to say it yet."

"I know, and I don't expect you to. Hopefully one day you will," he spoke with hopefulness. I smiled at him as I leaned my head on his shoulder.

Maybe one day I will, but for right now, I was okay with this. To me, all good things happen when they happen.