Stereotypes

Corbin
There's always been this debate if you let your son or daughter play with the other gender's toys then they will grow up to be gay. That boy should play sports and G.I. Joe and the girls should play house and barbies.

Yeah, I was that boy that played with G.I. Joe and Barbie. Most parents would question it, but my parents decided to leave it alone. They figured I would grow out of it or not.

Considering I have three best friends and one happens to be a girl, they didn't think anything of it. They figured it just made me better socially.

Truth is I liked playing with both. They were fun and honestly, who cares? I don't think that decides what your sexuality is. If you turn out to be gay, then so be it. You love who you love. For me, I happen to like guys.

Yep, I'm gay and proud of it.

The only thing is while most people assume when a person is gay, they have this feminine quality and a higher-pitched voice. They have this fantastic fashion sense and do all things gay-related. Yeah, I wasn't any of those.

First, I have a deep voice. Second, I have no idea how to be feminine, let alone not forgetting to wear my clothes for weeks on end. Third, this brings the fact I have zero fashion sense. If it smells clean and looks decent, then that's all I care about clothes.

You're probably wondering how I know I'm gay. I'm going to honest; I developed a crush on my best friend's brother. He was older and cute. I thought maybe it was just one of those things. Nope, it wasn't.

I attempted to kiss girls. I couldn't do it and didn't bother with it. The first time I kissed a guy, I liked it, a lot. Plus, I found myself attracted to guys. Contrary to popular belief, I don't have gaydar, whatever the hell that means. If a guy is hot, he's hot.

Now when it came to dating, this is where I had a problem. We would go out, but it would never go anywhere. I liked the guys, they want someone else, and I was single, FML.

A gay man, a senior in high school, and single. Woohoo! Yay, go me! Note the sarcasm.

But I had a feeling someone in my life flip it upside down this year, and it would all start with a party.

********
"How did the date go?" Brooklyn asked me.

I closed my locker door, "Well, he said I was funny and sweet but not his type." I looked at her.

"How can you not be anyone's type? You're hot, athletic, a semi-okay dresser, funny, and smart," she said.

"Guys don't care for the hot jock who happens to be gay and doesn't know how to dress," I shrugged. She laughed.

We walked down the hallway.

"I don't get it. I can get a date, but when it moves to a second date, the guy tells me the same thing. It's not like I'm unsociable or unfriendly. I don't get picked on," I told her.

"Because you would beat their ass," she smirked.

"True but that still doesn't help me with the fact that I can't seem to find the right guy. Maybe I'm destined to be alone for the rest of my life," I sighed.

"Or be a drama queen, whichever works better for you," Jeff said as he and Felix walked up.

"Excuse me, I'm having a dating crisis," I huffed.

"When aren't you having a dating crisis. You are a dating crisis," Felix retorted.

"How is it? I can't find one single guy to go out with and want a second date?" I asked everyone.

My friends all looked at me.

"Am I ugly? Do I offend?" I sniffed my pits.

"Uh, no, no," they all said.

I gave them a look as they gave me one back.

"No offense Corbin but you're style is a little something left desired," Jeff said to me.

"Yeah, I thought gay men had a fashion sense? You have, well, none," Felix added.

They were no help.

"Let's face it, when it comes to dating, I just crash and burn," I said, making the sound.

"Corbin, don't worry. I'm sure one day you will meet the guy of your dreams, and he will be closer than you think," Brooklyn said.

"Doubt it but thanks for the optimistic attitude," I sighed as she giggled.

The truth is Brooklyn was right, and they would closer than I knew. I had a feeling; things were just getting started.