Chapter 30, Sadie

sorry for the mess up! For what ever reason, wattpad put this chapter as a whole nother book.

The second day of my journey with out Hanger turned out to be rather boring. I felt a pulling sensation in my stomach that was getting stronger, ad I knew this was what Hanger had been going off of. Had it been me at first, I would have probably done something stupid, like eat a lot thinking I was hungry. I didn’t really pay attention to where I was going, just that I was following the tugging sensation. I missed Hanger terribly, and he filled my every thought. I was pleased to find that Rex was following me around, but it did little to ease the feeling of desolation that filled me. I spent my first night by a fire, seems as how Hanger wasn’t there to tell me what was going on. Rex stayed by my side the entire time, which I thought odd because normally he was coming and going.

I looked at the first name on my list. Libby Marcops. I couldn’t only hope that I wouldn’t have to go much further after her, because that meant I could get back to Hanger sooner. I came to a small town where I was actually able to use my gift that Arianna had shown me. I wondered out of the woods into what appeared to be sort of a gritty town, and I had no interest in staying long, but apparently, the residents did. I went to walk down a small street lined with trailers, not paying much attention to the run down places and the occasional twitch of  a curtain out of the corner of my eyes.

Suddenly, three guys seemed to appear out of now where. I stopped short, fear squeezing my hear for a  moment. I missed Hanger so much. One of them, a slimy freak with a beer belly and two teeth grinned sickly at me, and folded his arms across the grubby gray t-shirt. “Now, what could a little lady like you being doing, hanging around in our happy little community?” he asked. I looked around and shrugged. “Sure does look happy. That trailer with the caved in roof really gives off a great vibe.” I said, gesturing to it behind me. The grin faded from his face, and the two other guys behind him stepped forward, a disgusting gleam in there eyes. They all had five o’clock shadows, and one picked his ear while his friend talked to me.

“I don’t appreciate you poking fun at that. I don’t know who you belong to, but for the next while, your going to be rented out to me.” He said and advanced toward me. I didn’t move, but grinned at him and pushed a thought towards him. Suddenly, he wheeled around and punched one of his friends in the gut. He doubled over, the wind rushing out of him. The guy looked stunned, and the other nasty one spoke up.

“Doug, what the hell?” he asked in a slurred voice. I pushed another thought at him, and he attacked the one he had called Doug. Soon, I had a full scale fight going on. While there attention was diverted, I scurried behind on the trailers and followed my course as best I could until I finally entered the blessed cover of the woods. This little talent of mine could come in handy, I thought. Rex came back around, looking around and sniffing me. I frowned down at him.

“Thanks for your help.”I said, then shook my head. I was getting lonely after only two days. The sun began to set after a while, but still I didn’t stop walking. My legs moved some what mechanically as the moon rose over my head, full and bright, bathing the ground in silvery white light. Stars shined in the sky like little crystal. Rex yawned next to me and I sighed. “I guess I can stop for now.” I said and scooped him up into my arms, sitting down right where we were.  I was suddenly exhausted, and curled up next to Rex, missing the feel of Hanger. I woke up several time sin the night, looking for hanger, but then I would remember and go back to sleep.

I woke up in the morning after a night of restless sleep, sitting on the ground and staring blankly at the ground, eating…something out of my bag. I thought of my parents. Maybe they missed me. Maybe calling would have been a good idea while I was at Arianna’s. I immediately thought better of that. It was best just to keep them out of this. I sighed and started walking again, letting Arianna’s spell thing pull towards my destination.

                                                                                *******

Hours later, it was after noon and already the sun was starting to go lower in the sky. I came into another town, but this one was much larger. It had prim little bushes around all the parking lots, and signs telling about its history. Small houses dotted random places, and a small high way ran right through the center. I stayed in the woods. Small towns were always more watchful then the big ones. Rex was becoming more and more jumpy, and I could only guess that it was because we were getting closer. I hoped so. I wanted to get back as soon as possible. I pulled the list out again and looked at the first girl I was supposed to get. I never really like kids. They were needy, and always had something oozing off of them, and could never keep theremouth shut. Quite frankly,the idea of having seven of them now wasn’t all that appealing.

After a while, I had talked my self into calling my parents next time I saw a phone. Unfortunately, that phone came up quickly, and I had to force my self to go over and dial the number. My hands shook as I did so, sadly, and made it hard to push the faded buttons on it. It rang only twice before some one answered. I didn’t recognize the voice at first. Probably a new maid or something.

“Hello?” came a low, scratchy voice. “Uh, hi. Is Darlene there?” I asked nervously, unsure of how my mother would respond. There was a scuffling noise as the phone was switched over, then my mothers picked up.

“Hello?” I froze, the words sticking in my throat. “Um, hi, mom.” I said finally. There was a deep sigh on the other side. “Are you alright?” she asked. “Yeah, I’m fine.” There was a long pause before my mother spoke again. “Who are you with?” she asked sharply. I new she was probably asking about Hanger. My eyes narrowed. “No one. I’m alone.” Another silence. “I told you that boy would leave you alone.” She said sharply. I wanted to jump through the phone and choke her. “He didn’t leave me! He was sent away by Arianna!” I snapped, then realized she had no idea who I was talking about. I heard her sharp intake of breath.

“I knew it. “shesaid. “Knew what? We can talk about this later. I need to go now. Be careful.” With that, the line went dead. I hung up the phone and looked down at Rex, who was watching me expectantly. This just got even better.