Chapter 55, Hanger

Finally, Arianna called us all over to the massive picnic bench with the smooth, flat faced rock Boomer had brought over and Libby had somehow put together so it stayed. I sat down next to Sadie, who linked her ankle around mine. The guys sat on either side of us, making jokes and generally fooling around. The younger kids were all put on the other side, and Sadie had to snap at them several times to keep a food fight from breaking out. Finally, Arianna clapped her hands together, and we all looked up. She smiled at us.

“I’m glad you all stuck around for this. I thought it would be nice to celebrate us all being together for the first time ever.” She gestured to all the food and sat down, and the games began. Food was practically thrown from one end of the table. Arianna asked me to please make sure stuff stayed safe, which meant hovering peoples plates around for food and lifting them up out of the way. I felt like a fool, but it was helpful. I and all the other guys heaped our plates full. Sadie made a face at the amount of food on Max’s plate.

“Growing boy, honey.” He said and took another scoop of potatoes.

                                                                     *******

I leaned back in my chair and rocked it back so it was only on two legs. Sadie stretched her arms over her head. One of the kids groaned. Everyone was done eating, and now we were all in sleep mode. In fact, Max was asleep. He put the people on either side of him to sleep accidentally also with his ability. Boomer and the twins were sprawled on the ground. Jett had slipped under the table. Sophia had turned a contented green color, and a cloud covered the sun as Ariadne tried to stay awake. Roxi, for once, wasn’t flicking her hand through the air, and had her arms dangling by her side as she stared at her plate. Sully was gone. Sadie had told me he was simply hiding in our blind spots and we couldn’t see him when I looked confused. Ryder was lying in a massive bed of deep grass he had grown special for himself, and Rex, two chipmunks, and much to Arianna’s dismay, a skunk, we sleeping next to him. Levy looked disgruntled because he couldn’t move s fast as usual.

The only peppy person was Arianna. There was no way that was healthy. Several maids came out and cleared all the dishes away.

“I feel bad for whoever has to do those dishes.” Levy murmured. I nodded. I did too.

“That was amazing.” Libby said, absently bending a fork into a random shape with her mind. Arianna smiled.

“You can thank Jasper. It was his idea.” The twins, who were apparently awake, thrust there fists into the air.

“Whoo!” they cried without opening their eyes. Jasper grinned and stood up.

“Well, I have some business to attend to in town.” He stated. Every kid suddenly was upright. Even Jett appeared.

“Can we come?’ Ryder asked. Jasper looked like he was about to say no, but Arianna gave him a look and he smiled.

“Sure. Let’s go.” They all danced and skipped behind him, talking loudly. Arianna sighed. I guess that leaves us. Now that the kids are gone, I’d like to talk to Sadie and Hanger.” She said, looking pointedly at the others. They all grumbled and slowly got to their feet as they trudged to the house. Arianna folded her hands over one another. “We have a big advance coming up.” She said sullenly. Sadie and I remained silent.

“The enemy has made an advancement. A small battle compared the large war, but something that will require strength. We have every one we need to win this battle, but it will not be easy, still.” She let that sink in.

“So, what are you saying?” Sadie asked, leaning towards her.

“I have been informed that they will be coming from the most powerful place of all. Therefore, we must meet them there, and fight. If we can put but a dent in there warriors, I will be pleased.”

“What exactly is the enemy?’ I asked.

“You were imprisoned by them. They fight using the monsters that we all know so well. They are called the Avari. They were once very powerful, and almost ruled centuries ago. Human kind and people like us fought back and saved our war. What is thought of now as myth and legend is actually hard fact. You see inscriptions by the Chinese of dragons, thought to be just legend, stuff of stories. Really that is there history. The American Indians also knew a great deal about this.

“As I told you in the beginning, they wish to take the earth as they tried to do so many years ago. They failed then, and they will fail now. I’m afraid that may not be true though. They are stronger, smarter than they were. This battle will be something that will get a massive war going. We already had one like it, and I prayed it would never happen again. But it is, and we have to stop them.” Sadie and I were staring at her.

“And if they win?” Sadie asked. Arianna grimaced.

“Human and our kind alike will perish, and those who survive will be used as slaves, and any stragglers will live a life of fear, terrified of the constant stream of monsters and beasts roaming through their homes and their planet.” Well, that was pleasant. I shook my head.

“But we can stop it. We can fight back and I know we can win.” Arianna said determinedly. Sadie shook her head in disbelief.

“So, where is this place where we will be meeting them?” Sadie wondered. Arianna brightened.

“Why, in the very town you two were born in. the small town of Lonely.” She said with a grin. I raised an eyebrow.

“Lonely? Why there?” Arianna looked at me. “I forgot just home much you missed. Lonely is one of the number one magic centrals in our world. It has no people, but there are always houses which a maintenance crew takes care of for who eve comes in next. We will be the next group inhabiting Lonely. The town only had six houses, and one small store. The rest is all fields and woods.” She said. Sadie smiled.

“That sounds like a nice change.” She said.

“It is a nice town. You never feel out of place. It is every Makers hometown, and the place they always feel safe. I feel bad having to go there for such an occasion.” She said, her brows furrowing.

“What are the ‘makers’” I asked.

“Why, they’re you, and they’re me, and they’re Sadie. The Makers are all of us who are here, everyone with an ability is a Maker, and we are the Avari’s number one enemies.” She said. Sadie sighed and rested her head in her hands, shutting her eyes.

“You are telling us that we are going to the town of Lonely, which is magical. That we are all Makers, that a war is coming and all of mankind depends on us winning.” Sadie said, trying to summarize things. Arianna nodded slowly.

“Correct.” Sadie stood up.

“Great, now that’s all cleared up, I’m going to go sleep.” She said. I followed her into the house and into our room, where she flopped won on the bed.

“Life was so much similar before all of this.” She said. She glanced at me.

“I don’t think I would trade this one for a thing.” She patted the bed next to her and I lied down next to her. She propped herself up on one elbow and gazed at me. “

My kids.” She said simply. I touch her hand, knowing what she meant.

“They’ll be fine. Every person there is going to be protecting them, and they know how to take care of themselves.” Sadie sighed and rested her chin on my shoulder. “I hope so.”

Sorry for the late update, but I hope you all like it! I love to see COMMENTS and VOTES;) *shameless self promotion*