Chapter 54, Sadie

Sorry I havent updated in so long!! I'll be better, i swear!!!

After getting dressed, I opened the door and came out of the bathroom. Hanger was digging through the back pack looking for a new shirt. For the time being, he had tossed his other black one on the floor. I noticed his hair was slightly damp. “Did you take a shower?” I asked. He grinned, making my heart stop for a moment. “You took longer than me.” He pointed out. I ran a hand through my wet hair and fluffed it up, hoping to dry it quicker. I had to purse my lips to keep from smiling as I watched him continue his search for a new shirt. He was getting frustrated. I walked up to him and laid a hand on his chest, gently pushing him away and keeping myself to listen to the insane urge to kiss him. I asked for a shirt in my head and sure enough, I pulled out a shirt from the bag.

A pink blouse.

Hanger frowned. “I don’t think it’ll fit.” I laughed. “Probably not. Try again, shall we?” I asked specifically for a black t-shirt, and this time got one. Hanger, unfortunately, put it on. “How did you do that?” he asked, eyeing the bag. You just have to ask. It can give you anything, really.” I said. Hanger shook his head. “I can think of at least a dozen times where that would have been helpful.” He said. The sun was now brightly shining, and I could only hope the kids were behaving themselves. Hanger took my hand and we headed for the front door, hoping to get out before any one realized it. I was surprised that I didn’t hear anyone, but I wasn’t about to stick around long enough to find out what was going on. It didn’t take long to find them.

When we opened the door, I was surprised to see everyone out side on the lawn. Liam and Nicco, were, once again, fighting. Max was sleeping in a tree. Boomer was coming across the lawn with aa massive flat boulder over his head, and Sophia and Roxi on top, who were laughing hysterically. Boomer nodded at us as we watched. Arianna was ordering Jasper around, and he was going in and out of the house carrying food around. Nicco was called upon to start a fire for the grill. Ryder, Jett, and sully were playing the hardest game of hide and seek I had ever seen, with Jett’s amazing ability to hide and Sully’s disappearing act. Poor Ryder was trying to grow all sorts of bushes around him when he couldn’t find anywhere, but it wasn’t working out to well. A squirrel and Rex were following him around. Libby was giving instructions to Ariadne on the best way to destroy and make several buildings, and at the same time was putting together a massive picnic table with her mind, nails and pieces of wood randomly connecting to each other.

I smiled up at Hanger. “Still think we can get out of here before any one notices us?” I asked. He shrugged, a smile paying around his mouth. There was a roar as Liam scooped up Jett from a log, and Jett, my quiet Jett, squealed with laughter. We tried to hurry across the grass, but Roxi spotted us. She squirmed and Boomer let her out of his grip. He danced across the grass to us. “We’re having a picnic.” She said breathlessly. “I see that.” I said, looking around. She flicked the air. “They say that the most common picnic food is pie.” She stated. Her brows furrowed. “We don’t have any.” She murmured to herself, then sprinted across the lawn. She stopped about twenty feet from us and turned around. “Aren’t you guys coming?” she called. I looked up at Hanger, who started following her. I could tell that it was getting to him that we had been here do long. He had gotten a taste of freedom and I knew he wasn’t about to give it up.

Liam came up and punched him on the shoulder. “Dude, Arianna’s got all sorts of food. You sticking around?” Hanger nodded. “Yeah, man. Roxi told us there was a picnic.” He said. I came up next to him. Liam grinned and tipped his head in acknowledgement. Yep. I better go make sure my idiot little bro isn’t messing things up.” He said, then trotted across the lawn and tapped Nicco on the shoulder, who was intently cooking assorted meats. “I thought they were twins.” I murmured. Hanger chuckled. “They are. They fight about this stuff all the time.” He said, looking down at me. I smiled up at him, blinking at the sun. I felt someone touch my leg. I looked down to see Ariadne. “Can we go shopping again, soon?” she asked. I grinned. “Why, so you guys can get sent to jail this time?” I asked. She smiled hugely. It was good to see them all so happy. Ariadne ran across the lawn to where Roxi was waiting. I looked across the lawn. Libby and Sully were sitting on a bench, talking quietly to each other. Boomer had Jet on one shoulder and Sophia on the other and was going around, moving rocks to get them in a certain order.

“Sadie, I wanted to apologize for earlier. I should have known better than to-” I held up a hand to stop Arianna. “no, I’m sorry. I don’t like using my, er, talent on others. I was upset, and shouldn’t have done it.” I said. She smiled. “Well, we’ll agree to disagree on who should be sorry, right? C’mon, we’d better go help Jasper before he gives up.” She said, taking my arm. I looked over my shoulder at Hanger as she dragged me away. He winked and went off to mess with the guys. “I didn’t know you had a husband.” I said, trying to make small talk. Arianna smiled sheepishly and watched as the blonde man walked back and forth between the house and lawn, grumbling about slavery. “We met five years ago, while on a, ah, mission. He is often away on trips, but I do love him so.” She turned to me. “I expect my love for him is almost as strong as your love is for Hanger.” She said. I blushed and looked away, but she continued. “I wasn’t expecting you two to be together, I wasn’t even expecting you to meet until you showed up here. But I believe that you need to be together. You are stronger together.” She looked confused. “It puzzles me. You gravitate towards each other. I can never figure out what he I thinking, but you seem to understand. And he seems happier with you. He smiles. He laughs.” She said, laughing a little. I smiled also, thinking of his smile.

“Anyways. Jasper, hon, do you want some help?’ she called. He looked up and smiled. “Nonsense. I’m fine.” He said, waving his hand. Arianna laughed. “That means he needs help.” She said. We began going back and forth between the house, carrying food, plates, utensils, and decorations. I found that Jasper was really funny, and not at all the hardened man he sometimes appeared to be. Arianna and I laughed hysterically when he tripped and smashed a carton of eggs on his shirt. Jasper glared at us, but couldn’t keep the smile off his face. “I’m glad my suffering brings you pain.” He grumbled. Arianna kissed him and took his hand, dragging him inside. “Come on. We need to get you at least presentable for the dinner.” She said.

I realized that the amount of food she had could not have been cooked in that short of amount of time. The oven hadn’t even started until after our little spat. I shook my head and moved a box of decorations. Arianna worked in mysterious ways.