Chapter 50, Sadie

I shoved open the door of Arianna’s mansion, the only thought on my mind being Hanger. It was past mid night, but the house was still lit. Arianna smiled hugely as the kids poured in behind me and all jumped at Arianna, shouting and happy to see her. She hugged and kissed every one of them and they told her a little story from their journey. “I have some supper waiting for you in the dining room.” She said. “Then off to bed. Say good night to Sadie.” I knelt down and they all came to stand in front of me. I hugged the girls and smoothed the boys hair. “Get some sleep. We have a new tomorrow.” I said. They all said good night then went down the hall to eat. Arianna came over to me and hugged me. I hugged her back, but still my mid never left Hanger.

“You did such an amazing job, Sadie. They all love you so much.” I didn’t answer and she must have understood because she said, “down the hall, lat door on the right.” I gave her a grateful look and almost bolted down the hall. I threw the door open and stepped in, shutting it behind me.

There, on the bed, was the one person who made me happy, who loved me, who I loved. An ache I hadn’t realized was there went away as I took in Hanger’s sleeping from. He frowned in his sleep and twitched, but didn’t wake. Moon light filtered through the window, allowing me to see that he had no shirt. I took in his hard, muscled abdomen. I couldn’t stand it any longer. I kicked off my shoes and strode across the room and crawled onto the bed, onto Hanger. I pressed my lips to his, and in two seconds he was wide awake. He didn’t hesitate, knowing it was me. “Sadie.” He breathed. I put both my hands on either side of his face, and I felt his arms tighten around my waist, pulling me closer and holding me against him.

I opened my mouth and breathed in his familiar scent, tasted his familiar taste. Suddenly, he rolled over and brought me with him, pinning me underneath him. He held his weight up off of me by keeping one hand on either side of my head. He tilted his head to deepen the kiss. I let my hand slide down his face and neck until they were resting on his bare chest. Reluctantly, he broke apart, our hearts racing, our breathing ragged. I looked deep into his black eyes and realized just how much I had missed them. “I love you.” He said, pulling me loser as we laid on our sides facing each other. I rested my forehead against his. “I love you too.” I ran a hand down his muscled body. He shuddered and brought his mouth back to mine. He traced kisses down my neck and jaw, down my collar bone and back up, his hands sliding up and down my hips and waist in a slow caress. I traced my finger along his chest drawing random designs, when suddenly I felt something rough under my hand. I laid my hand flat against it. It was gauze, wrapped completely around his shoulder.

“What’s this?” I asked. He nuzzled me at the base of my neck. “Just a scratch.” Knowing how he under estimates everything, I didn’t believe him. I slowly unwrapped it to reveal a long, jagged scratch. I didn’t know a lot of medical stuff, but I knew it wasn’t good when it was all red around it. I pulled him up. “We’ll resume this later. I have someone you need to see.” I said. He moaned but followed me. I found Arianna and a couple maids cleaning up in the kitchen. She looked surprised to see us. “Which room is Jett in?” I asked. “Third door on your left. I’m glad to see you both looking much happier.” Her eyes slid down to where are hands were laced together. I smiled at her and dragged Hanger down the hall. I opened the door to find it in complete blackness. Typical Jett. He was nowhere to be seen, but I knew he was in there somewhere.

“Jett, buddy. It’s me.” Hanger looked quizzically at me for a moment, then Jett’s small, dusty head popped out from under the bed. He crawled over and stood up, taking in Hangers form. He looked up at me and I knelt down to his level.

“This is Hanger. He has a bad scratch and I was wondering if you would fix it for me, okay bud?” he gave me a small smile and I sat Hanger down on the bed. Jett crawled up next to him and I sat down in a chair on the edge of the room. Hanger looked surprised as Jett began reaching for his shoulder. “Uh, I don’t think you should touch that.” Hanger said. Jett rocked back on his heels and put his small hands on his hips. Hanger sighed, and Jett continued. His small hands fluttered around the wound for a minute before he lightly touched ht tip, then dragged his entire hand down it. It was probably really gross, but Jett was used to it. Hanger looked appalled at first, then he seemed to relax. Jett sat back with a satisfied look on his face. Hanger wiggled his shoulder experimentally, then gave a slight smile to Jett. Jett climbed off the bed and came to lean against my leg. “Go to bed. Maybe we can do something fun tomorrow. And antique shop, maybe?” I whispered in his face. He smiled and nodded, then, giving a nod to Hanger, crawled back under the bed.

I took Hangers hand as we left the room. “You got a healer?” he asked. I smiled. “Jett was the second kid I had to go get. I found him in the wall of a hospital.” There was a question on his face, and I just shook my head. “I’ll tell you about it later.” I led him back through the kitchen and back to our room. As soon as the door was closed, Hanger brought me closer. I smiled against his lips, surprised. “You promised we would resume.” He murmured against my lips. I smiled as we lay down on the bed, facing each other. I traced my hand over the newly formed scar on his shoulder, and kissed the length of his jaw, down his neck and onto his chest, then back up. Finally, we broke apart, our bodies still entangled. I rested my head on the dent at the bottom of his neck, still stroking his chest with my fingertips. He had one arm wrapped around my waist, holding me against his body. “I missed you.” He murmured against the top of my head. I smiled. “I’ve almost perfected my skill.” I said.

He groaned jokingly. “Great. Now you can be even more demanding.” He said. “It came in rather helpful. All the kids can get rather stubborn.” I said. I felt him give a little laugh. “My job was harder.” He saidplayfully. “Ha! I had more people, and they were younger. Mine was defiantly worse than yours.” I said. He laughed again, and I closed my eyes, listening to the one sound that made me sleep deeper than ever.

The sound of Hanger’s heart.