Chapter 72, Sadie

I had a dream that I was freezing, and alone. I wasn’t worried about being cold, I was worried about being alone. Where was Hanger? Or the other boys? Even one of the kids would be a welcome sight. I couldn’t see anything. It was pitch black, and I realized that I was back in the castle, alone. In my dream, Hanger had never come to save me and I was still alone.

Something breathed on my face, and terror ripped through me. I searched for the light of and for me to push, but there was none, and I knew it was monster. I whimpered, terrified and softly called Hanger name. I listened carefully and from somewhere far, far away I could hear him calling my name frantically, but I couldn’t reach him. Whatever was near me growled ferociously and I could smell its breath. Suddenly, I could hear Hanger loud an d clear, and I could tell he was near me. There was a bright flash of light and all I saw was a massive creature lunging at Hanger, just an inch from his throat.

I woke with a start and almost screamed the name that was on the tip of my tongue, Hanger’s name. I realized I wasn’t cold. In fact, there was something very, very close to me. With its arm over me. I realized it was Hanger. He had come up onto the bed. I could feel his heart beat against my back where he was pressed against me, one arm over my waist. I could feel his hot breath in the curve of my neck where he had his face buried. I rolled over and kissed him. I felt him tense as he woke up, then relaxed. His arms tightened around me. I traced the outline of his mouth with my tongue and wrapped my arms around his neck, just glad that he was here. I put one hand on the side of his face and traced the line of his jaw. I could form an image of what he looked like without even opening my eyes, and knew I would always be able to. We broke apart, our breathing ragged.

“Did I ever tell you that I love you?” he asked, dragging one finger down my neck and collar bone and then down the side of my body.

“No, but you can start now.” I teased. I felt more than saw him smile.

“I love you.” He whispered. I wondered how someone like Hanger, dark, dangerous, hard to read, occasionally grumpy and rough Hanger could be so gentle and loving and funny and sweet. I loved it and was mystified by it. I knew that I would never have to worry about ever finding anyone else. Hanger was it. I smiled against his mouth.

“The house must not mind anymore.” I said. He chuckled. I leaned my forehead against his and closed my eyes and breathed in his smell, the only thing that made sense to me anymore. Without Hanger I would have killed my self by now, I thought. I fell asleep, and this time was not plagued by dreams about losing Hanger.

                                                                             ******

I threw a hand up in front of my face. “Jesus Christ! Put some clothes on, guys!” I cried. I had just walked into the living room, and they were all lounged around the living room wearing nothing but their underwear, crowded around the flat screen T.V.  They all grumbled about having to sleep in the living room as Hanger came up next to me.

“What are you guys grumbling about?" he asked. They glared at me. Hanger looked down at me and raised an eye brow.

“They’re wandering around in their underwear! How does that not bother you?” I asked. He shrugged.

“They always do that.” He said, as if I should have known. I cautiously put my hand down, and this time they had all pulled jeans on, but were still shirtless. Boys.

Jasper came into the house and bowed his head slightly to me in his gentlemanly way.

"We’re going to start practice before the kids get up.” He said plainly. All the guys looked dumbfounded, and Liam and Nicco nodded to each other as they used their telepathy. Boomer opened his mouth to complain, but I beat him to it. It was seven in the morning.

“You realize what time it is?” I asked in a steely voice. Jasper kept his calm attitude.

“You’re up, aren’t you?” he retorted. I raised an eye brow.

“I shouldn’t be.” He raised an eye brow.

“Sadie, dear, its isn’t my problem you’re a slug in the morning.” He said. Don’t get me wrong, I loved Jasper, but I am not a morning person. I saw Max doing cut throat gestures behind me, trying to tell Jasper to stop. I put my hands on my hips, and Levy and the twins winced.

“I am not going to practice right now.” I said. Jasper sighed.

“Come now, Sadie. It won’t be long. Come along.” He said, gesturing for us to go. I have this awful thing where as soon as people tell me to do something, I often did the opposite. I couldn’t help what I did next.

“Arianna said to come and get us at nine. You can go back now.” I said, pushing the thought into his mind. I don’t really like doing that to people, but I couldn’t help it. His face went blank and he turned around and left. Dodger put his arm around my shoulder on one side, and Levy on the other. I gave them a look and they stepped away.

“I knew there was a reason we kept you around.” Max said.

“You had Jasper pretty riled up.” He said. Dodger chuckled.

“Same with Arianna. You guys should hear her.” He said, then stopped abruptly. “I just realized that other than all of you guys and the trees, it is silent here. I can’t hear anyone else.” He said, running a hand through his curly brown hair. I took Hangers hand as we walked into the kitchen. Suddenly, it began to pour out side. I knew that couldn’t be anything good.

Arianna lined us all up, but we weren’t paying any attention to her. We were looking around us. The building we were in was amazing. It had a soaring, dome shaped ceiling. One half of the room was an obstacle course, a deadly one, at that. The other half had several objects in it, including a blow torch. The most amazing thing about this building was that it was made of screens. The outside was concrete, but inside, the walls were made out a giant screen. I could only imagine what they would be used for.

“What I wouldn’t do to watch a movie in here.” Levy murmured, looking around. Arianna cleared her throat and brought our attention back to her.

“Okay, rather than an explanation, let’s just get started.” She said. She put on one of those masks people in repair shops use when they use blow torches, and flipped the front of it down in front of her face. She grabbed the blow torch.

“Nicco, you’re first.” She said. Nicco grinned and stepped forward. I didn’t like the way he looked at the blow torch. Arianna squeezed the trigger part and blue and yellow flame shot out she held it up to Nicco. He stood there, waiting while I chewed my nails off. Liam snorted and shook his head. I decided Nicco must be talking to him. Arianna held the torch to Nicco. Within a few seconds, his shirt was completely ablaze. He grinned at us and flexed his arms.

“Look at me guys. I feel like a super hero.” He said jokingly. I had to admit it looked pretty cool.

“Make it bigger, then make a ball and set that sheet on fire.” Arianna instructed. Doubt flickered across Nicco’s usually sure face.

“I don’t know if I can do that.” He said. Arianna smiled at him.

“Sure you can, sweet heart. Just imagine it bigger in your head, then use your hand and grab it like a ball.” Nicco shrugged and focused.

“Dude, the fire has to be bigger.” Liam shouted. I really didn’t even want to know what Nicco had been imagining.

Sorry this one ended a little abruptly, but I hope you enjoyed!:)