Chapter Twenty Seven(v2)

Începe de la început

            Cedric snorted. “My magic isn’t that powerful. Look at Rosaline’s ability. It’s incredible.”

            Gabriel frowned as though he didn’t see Cedric’s opinion. “Rosaline does handle her magic admirably. But it’s incredibly limited.”

            “In what way?” Cedric was enjoying this debate.

            “Well, her attacks are reliant on the spirits. She has to plead and beg them to do something for her, and even then they might refuse. By the time she convinces them to help her, if they decide to help her, it would be too late.”

            “I see your point.” Cedric admitted. “And Ghost wouldn’t be able to match the king either. His disappearing might hide him, but he couldn’t hope to damage the king in that way. Any weapon he picked up would be visible, and in his mist-like state he couldn’t hope to hurt the anyone by hand.”

            “That’s true.” Gabriel agreed. “Le Princeps would surely fall if he faced against the king.”

            “Princeps de la Constupro. That’s his full title, right?”

            “Correct.”

            “What does it mean? Ghost didn’t even know what language it was.”

            Gabriel chuckled throatily. “It would be just like Ghost to not even be curious about his name. It’s a dead form of Latin that the witch doctors use-they adore him. It means Prince of the Corrupt.”

            “Ghost told me that he wasn’t the Sanctuary’s leader.”

            “He’s not, at least not officially. It’s a rogue’s nature to rebel against any sort of authority. But Ghost takes the lead when he needs to, and helps every single being in this Sanctuary. So, if there ever was a king, it would be Ghost. And everyone knows this and treats him with the according respect.”

            A smile spread across Cedric’s face. “Does Ghost even know that they think of him as their king?”

            Gabriel shared Cedric smile. “No. Ghost has no idea that the criminals here consider Ghost their leader more than the king that’s ruling their country. Subconsciously he probably knows, which is why he takes the role so well, but he’ll never admit it. Which is why the people here still follow him.”

            “That’s a confusing form of government.”

            Gabriel shrugged. “It may be confusing, but there’s more order down here than on the surface world.”

            Cedric sighed. “That’s true.”

            Gabriel watched Cedric for a time, then his expression lit up. “Ah, I’m afraid I’ve been distracted. There was a reason that I wanted to speak with you.”

            That’s right; Gabriel never reached the point of his conversation. Cedric waited, and Gabriel began.

            “I know I’m not a magic weaver, but I’ve trained Ghost and numerous others. I think it would greatly benefit you if you and I practiced and perfected your weaving.”

            “Why should I?” Cedric was tired of magic.

            “Because you have more potential than I have ever seen. And I think it’ll help you in the future. You’ll probably need it if you want to survive.”

            “Ok.” Cedric’s voice was flat. He didn’t want to, but Gabriel brought up a valid point. He would need his magic if he wanted to survive.

            Gabriel flashed a brief smile. “Wonderful. Meet me in the empty room past the east tunnel. That room will work perfectly.”

            Cedric looked down, and when he looked back up Gabriel was strolling away at an easy pace.

            In what Cedric thought to be an hour, Cedric headed down the east tunnel. The room beyond it was just an empty space, maybe half a mile long and half a mile wide. Cedric stood in the middle of the ‘room’, if you could call it that, wondering if he was in the right place, when Gabriel dropped from the ceiling. Cedric jumped back, but Gabriel reached above him and pulled down a rope that hung from the ceiling, as if it wasn’t unusual in the least.

 “You think the lanterns are pretty from here, but you should see them from in close terms. They’re gorgeous.”

“How did you do that?”

“I may not be young, but I hold true to my title, the Reaper.”  

Without further conversation, Gabriel ordered Cedric to create a column.

“I can’t make something out of nothing. That’s impossible.”

“Use the materials around you.” Gabriel explained as though he was speaking to someone without intelligence. “There’s cement all around you in the walls and floor. Take some from that and use it to construct a column.”

Within minutes, Cedric was able to form a shaky pillar from the stone around him. Gabriel pushed it over with his hand, as if it was made of dust.

“You aren’t bonding the materials together; you’re just stacking them. Do it again.”

After a time, Gabriel switched his instructions. “Take off your shoes.” He ordered.

“I don’t like to.” Cedric admitted. “I can feel movement through my feet. It’s unnerving.”

“You’ll get used to it. If you can learn to weave through your feet, that’s another weapon up your sleeve.”

Cedric was horrible at weaving with his feet, to say the least. It was like trying to write with your left hand after using your right for all of your life.

It was a few more hours until Gabriel stopped. “That’s enough for now. We’ll meet again tomorrow, at the same time.”