november issue ✧ 10

The moment Luke found out that the dinner was formal he got nervous.

He was already nervous before because he'd meet Michael's uncle, he wasn't sure if Michael would like his present and he'll be the only one there besides the two.

Also, Michael's uncle had a cook who had Michael ask him about his favorite dishes and allergies.

Somehow Luke understood why Michael didn't want to live at the big house. He probably couldn't walk around the house in his boxers and to Luke that would be a catastrophe.

So yes, he was nervous but being nervous in a suit was even more horrible.

Ben joked he was going to a themed birthday party which was kind of true.

To Michael
Should I be early?

Mikey?

From Michael
Oh god. Please don't be nervous. Come whenever. Even if you're late it'll be okay. (:

Just call me when you're here.

Do you need me to pick you up?

Luke rolled his eyes. Two boys in a suit on a motorbike would be a sight for the sore eyes of their town.

If anyone would recognize him there'd be rumors about it on Monday if not before.

To Michael
My brother will drop me off.

I'll be there in thirty minutes or so.

"Luke?" His mum walked in the room.

He was standing in front of the mirror looking at his own reflection. "Yeah?"

"You look nice." Liz smiled at her son. "Here, since you didn't want me to wrap the present at least put on a bow."

"Thank you."

"You look nervous baby. Why's that?" Luke was the baby of the family. He was mama's boy and he wasn't good at hiding things from her.

He shrugged his shoulders. "I don't know. I just feel under pressure because I'm the only person he's invited and I'm not that funny or special. So, his uncle will think that his nephew's only friend is boring."

"Luke." She laughed. "You're anything but boring. Michael is a really nice boy and you should feel special he only invited you, not pressured."

"I guess you're right."

"I'm always right." His mum said and handed him the bow. "I'm your mum."

The youngest Hemmings rolled his eyes before finishing getting ready.

It was less than a five-minute ride to Michael's place and if wouldn't be cold already he'd walk. But again, Luke Hemmings in a dress walking towards the dodgy part of the city? With a possibility of Kyle seeing him? Not a risk he was willing to take.

To Michael
I'll be there in two minutes.

From Michael
I'm already waiting.