september issue ✧ 4

don't forget to comment!

tw: slur

Above all, Luke wanted to be a research journalist.

He knew in general journalism was one of the hardest jobs and for sure Luke didn't want to spend the rest of his life behind a desk.

Researching and then writing about it seemed like a perfect job for him since he loved observing the world and people around him.

All of Luke's ideas and observations made it into his small personal journal he protected more than anything he owned. He was fine with his mother finding his porn folder or even his vibrator if that meant no one would open and read all of his secrets.

The page that had Michael's name on it has been recently the focus of Luke's research.

To Luke's knowledge, Michael had no friends in school. He was nowhere to be found during lunch periods and had no classes together with him. The only person who talked about him was either Jack or Calum. But Calum never said much and if all of the sudden Luke would expect some great information out of him he'd get suspicious.

The first month of being in the same room with Michael almost every day made Luke learn some things.

The first one was Michael was gorgeous. He never paid that much attention to him but now when he did he noticed it.

Luke started to give Michael more tasks the more he trusted him. He wanted to give him an interview to do but the poor pianist was too afraid of Michael to be alone with him.

So he sent Michael to football games which turned out for the best since Michael knew more about football than he did anyway. Plus, with all the rumors that were going around connecting him with fucking the football team made Luke less excited to see the games and then write about them.

Luke observed him carefully as he was typing down the article about the game from the day before. He then looked down at his journal to see if he had any new information.

Michael Gordon? Clifford

Age: 17

Hair color: dyed blond, natural hair color: ?

Piercings and tattoos: pierced eyebrow and both ears, tattooed knuckles (an X!! and an anchor), a Peter Pan tattoo on his forearm + ?

Family: father owner of the X car dealership, mother?, siblings?

Hobbies: good at math, decent grammar

"Hey, Michael?"

They never talked much so Michael seemed a bit surprised when Luke called his name.

"Yeah? If you need help with anything I'll probably be done in fifteen minutes."

Luke still wasn't sure if Michael was always nice or if it was just the fact that he literally had to help Luke.

"No, I just wanted to ask you. There are a lot of rumors going around but since I aspire to be someone who tells the truth I wanted to ask you."

Now he had Michael's entire attention.

"Why did you miss so much school last year? I haven't seen you miss a day so far and most people who skip school aren't as eager as you are to finish it."

Michael blinked a couple of times before speaking up. "I don't know if you know this, since your family only moved here like what, three years ago?" Luke nodded. "My father is serving time in jail at the moment and my mother left us a couple of years ago. Since I'll only turn eighteen in November and I had no legal guardian to excuse me from school it looked like I was skipping classes in my record."

"Why didn't you have a legal guardian?" Luke was getting snoopy but Michael didn't seem to mind. His answers were shallow and not too personal, or for Luke, not personal enough.

"I was living with my uncle but neither of my parents could or wanted to sign the papers."

"How so?"

Michael smiled. "What's with all the questions?"

Luke blushed and looked at his notebook that was still open. "I don't know, I just don't really know you and I've moved here years ago. Plus, we've been working together for a month, it'd be nice to know I'm not trapped with a lunatic."

He didn't look up as Michael remained quiet. Then all of the sudden a piece of paper was pushed in front of him.

"Here's my number. Not a sign that I'm not a lunatic but maybe if you're sometimes free or if you'd want to maybe do some newspaper work at my or your place instead of here you can text me."

Luke was speechless. No one ever gave him his number wanting to hang out, only to fuck. To be honest, if Michael wanted to fuck that'd be completely okay with Luke. He just didn't give out any signs that he's interested in Luke and Michael knew he was gay. Or maybe he was interested in guys just no in Luke?

Or maybe... Luke mentally facepalmed himself. He just wants to be friends.

"Thank you," He finally answered after what seemed was an hour-long train of thoughts. "We could maybe... go and work outside if you want to? It's a nice day and I can see there's a free bench outside."

Michael agreed and as they gathered their belongings Luke realized two things will happen. Everybody will see them working together and that will only create more rumors about him.

Luke opened the door only to almost bump into Charlie from the photography club.

"O hey, fag." He pushed a folder against Luke's chest. "Ashton said you needed those."

He left before Luke could say or do anything. He could hear Michael behind him so he blinked away the tears before he turned to throw the folder on the table.

"We can check that tomorrow." He forced a smile on his face because he saw the look on Michael's face. "Ashton developed some old photographs on film. Maybe we could write something about that."

Only then he noticed Michael was squeezing his fists and he realized he never saw him angry.

✧✧✧

plsplspls comment:

Luke finding Michael hot?

Them possibly being friends?

Thoughts/complaints on this story so far?

Love, Lucija ♡