THE BAD BOY AND THE CHEERLEADER - CHAPTER 39

CHAPTER 39:

GIANNA'S POV:

I let Caleb guide me by the hand, down the hall to his room. I guess he can sense my reluctance because he gives me a reassuring smile. What the hell am I doing? Why did I come here tonight? I feel like one of those pathetic girls that puts up with whatever crap the man she loves dishes out.

So pathetic Gianna. He doesn't even love you back.

That's why I'm here, because of hope. I guess I was hoping that, if I came here, he'd sweep me into his arms and tell me that he didn't mean it, that he loves me and can't live without me. That he's been dying without me as much as I've been dying without him.

So pathetic Gianna. So freaking pathetic. But dammit, I can't help it. I'm still crazy about him, even if he is only going to hurt me again, I can't stay away from him. Just for tonight, I tell myself. One more night.

I want answers, though. I want to know why everything happened the way it did. Caleb pulls me down to sit on the edge of his bed next to him. As he wraps an arm around my back and pulls me close, I ask, "Caleb, were you just using me?"

"Never," he says and kisses my head.

I want to ask him why he couldn't love me back. I want to shout it at him. So, maybe he cares about me, but that's not enough. A one-sided relationship would be hell. I close my eyes and lean my head against him, savoring just being this close to him again after weeks apart.

He's rubbing circles in my back, "Gianna, how the hell did you start hanging out with Ian?"

I lift my face to look at him. He looks mad. Why? I answer his question with another question, "Is that why I'm here tonight, Caleb? Because you found me with Ian and it's some sort of competition?"

He laughs bitterly, "Ian is no competition. You're with me because I can't stay away from you any longer."

"Can't stay away from me?" I ask skeptically. "Caleb, everything that's happened between us is because of you. No one is making you stay away from me, but yourself."

He gets a weird look on his face and opens his mouth, as if to say something, then closes it again. After a minute of silence, he says, "You didn't answer my question. About Ian?"

I lay my head back down, "Ian and I are just friends. The first night that I went to the club, three weeks ago, to apply for the dancing position, he was there. He was very polite and asked if he could have my number. I figured why not, and we've been hanging out since."

"Are you going to break up with Seth?"

I have to think for a moment. Well, I'll eventually break up with him. He's falling too hard for me and I don't want to hurt him. "I probably will soon."

He tenses, "And then you'll be with Ian?"

I pull away from him, "Why do you even care who I'm with, Caleb? You didn't want me!"

CALEB'S POV:

Not want her? I want her in so many different ways that it scares me. I want all of her, mind, body and soul. It's driving me crazy that I can't have her. I'm seriously contemplating murdering Julie at this moment. However, despite what a crazy b!tch her mother is, I think Gianna would protest.

I wonder if I can convince Gianna to meet me here every weekend. Julie wouldn't have to know. Maybe I should tell her about Julie's threats. And maybe Gianna will become so mad with her mom, that she'll confront her and get shipped off to her dad.

"Gianna, I want to ask you something."

Her facial expression is wary, "Yeah, Caleb?"

I grab her hand and hold it in one of mine. "Can I see you sometimes?"