THE BAD BOY AND THE CHEERLEADER - CHAPTER 51

CHAPTER 51:

CALEB’S  POV: 

VALENTINE’S  DAY

Showering this morning, I’m whistling and eager to get my day started.  Valentine’s Day falling on a Saturday worked out perfectly for me. 

Ian is still looking pretty groggy under the shower next to me, “Stop with your god damn happiness, Caleb.”

“Just cause you don’t have a beautiful girl visiting you today, don’t get all bitchy with me.”  I’m not about to let him ruin my good mood.  I haven’t seen Gianna in four freaking months.  This feels like my birthday, Christmas and, well, Valentine’s Day all rolled into one.  Soaping myself up real good, I then close my eyes as I shampoo my hair. 

Ian clears his throat, “Actually, if I remember correctly, I do have a girl visiting me today.”

After rinsing off the soap and shampoo covering my body, I ask, “Oh yeah, who is she?  Your do-gooder pen pal?”

I open my eyes in time to see his scowl, “I would never invite Alexandra to this place.”

Laughing, giving him a questioning look, “Oh, it’s like that is it?”

“Please, the girl is too young and innocent for me.”  Ian looks annoyed, but I think I see a blush on his cheeks.  Could be the heat from the showers, though. 

“Isn’t she only a year younger than us?” 

His sigh is barely audible over the spray of the water, “In age yes, but in experience, she’s like a middle school kid.”

Back to the original subject, I ask, “So, who’s the girl visiting you today?”

Looking deep in thought, Ian then shrugs, “I can’t remember who exactly I asked to come.”  His grin is evil, “I can narrow it down to being one of the three that I’ve been talking on the phone with most recently.”

Shaking my head, I laugh, “Well, I hope it isn’t one that I dated too.  Would be kind of awkward to be in the visitation room with one of those girls when Gianna is here.”

He makes a scoffing sound, “Like you’d even notice any other girl there with Gianna around.”

“True, true.”  I shut off the water and grab a towel off a nearby bench.  Wrapping it around my waist, I walk over to the sheet of polished metal nailed on the wall that we use as a mirror.  Running my hands over my buzzed hair, I wonder what Gianna will think of my shorter style.

Nah, I’m still a sexy beast. 

When Ian shuts off the water and stands in front of the metal sheet, next to me, I start drying off.  Wishing they would let us wear something else, I pull on a clean pair of underwear, cotton pants and shirt.  Freaking briefs, I wouldn't be caught dead in briefs outside of this place.  Turning around, I see Ian admiring himself in the mirror.  Did I look that stupid a minute ago?  Nope, it must just be Ian.  He oozes stupidity.  Doesn’t even remember which girl he asked to come visit him.  What a phone slut. 

A guard takes a group of back to the cell block.  I see Ian straggling at the back, pulling a shirt over his head.  Once back in our cell, I rip a cologne sample out of one of the magazines my dad brought me, rubbing it against my wrists and neck.  Ian snatches it out of my hand, doing the same.  Great, now we smell the same.  How gay is that? 

Rolling my eyes at the primping he's doing with a plastic comb, I grab from under the bunk bed a red gift bag that my mom had brought me a Christmas present in.  I don’t have the tissue anymore, but I carefully place the small painting that I made for Gianna in there. 

It’s kind of cheesy, but I painted the image I have in my memory of her when we went tagging.  I included myself in the picture, and it’s a view of our backs because we’re standing a few feet away from each other, facing the wall that we’re aiming our cans of spray paint at.  Black paint is on my hand and blue is dripping down Gianna’s index finger, from where she’s pushing down on the nozzle. 

I just thought it was kind of cool to paint a piece of when Gianna and I spray painted a wall.  I painted the stupid stuff we wrote in the same colors as our real handiwork.  If she doesn’t like it, I can always paint her something for next time she visits.  Giving her a reminder of our time together was my goal in painting this.

The fact that she’s waited so long to visit me in the first place has had me feeling uneasy, but my therapist says that her avoidance is normal behavior after an assault.  Patience is now my middle name. 

When visiting time hits, a guard calls out the names of those with visitors.  I grab the gift bag and follow Ian down the hallway.  This is the happiest I’ve been since that night four months ago, when everything went to hell.  With only six months of my sentence to go, things are starting to look up. 

So, you can imagine my surprise when I get to the large visitation room and Gianna is nowhere in sight. 

Hailey, however is sitting at one of the tables, checking her face in a small mirror.  My disappointment feels like a blow.

GIANNA’S  POV: 

“I can’t go inside,” I say for the tenth time, holding my head in my hands.

“Listen,” Gage begins, “I don’t know what went down for your man to be in here, but you say that you love him.”

“And he says that he loves me,” I mumble out pathetically.

Gage laughs, “Trust me.  After being in a place like this, you’re probably going to be a welcome sight for him”  He reaches over and nudges his knuckles against my shoulder, “I’d be missing my girl if I was stuck in a place like this.”

Glancing through the windshield of Gage’s Subaru, I look at the youth corrections building.  And a wave of guilt passes through me for my part of getting Caleb put in this place.  Ian too.  Taking a deep breath, I grab onto the heart-shaped box of chocolates from my lap with one hand and the door handle with the other.  “Let’s do this.”

“Sure you want me to go in with you?” Gage asks. 

“Oh yeah,” I reply.  Opening the door, I add, “If I get dumped, I’ll need a shoulder to cry on.”

Walking toward the front gates with Gage, I think about how fast our friendship has evolved.  After that first day week and a half ago, when he started at my school, we’ve hung out constantly.  The coolest part is that Gage has never tried to come onto me in any way.  He even came to practice with the crew last Saturday.  It feels like we've been friends for longer than a week and a half.

How he ended up driving me down to Pueblo, I don’t even know.  He doesn’t know everything that happened at our old school, but I’ve told him that Caleb and my friend Ian got put in here after beating up my ex-boyfriend Josh, who was 'bothering me'. 

When he asked, ‘Josh who?’ it was music to my ears.  Obviously Gage wasn’t a fan of the popular kids at my old school. 

Anyways, he offered to drive me and I accepted.  Hanging out with him so much, I kind of feel like I should introduce him to Caleb.  That way Caleb knows that Gage isn’t a threat to our relationship.  If we even have a relationship after this visit. 

Getting through the security points takes longer than I’d counted on, in addition to wimping out in the parking lot for thirty minutes, so I’m more than a little late for visitation.  They take away Gage’s car keys and pat us both down, rifling through our jackets and the opening the box of chocolates to look inside. 

I smile at the guard who opens the final door for us, the guy is just doing his job.  We’re led into a large, crowded room filled with small picnic-style tables in the middle and benches along the walls.  Inspirational posters like those found in a classroom or office are taped onto the walls. 

There are those moments in life that are burned forever in your memory.  Meeting Caleb’s eyes across the room will be one of those moments for me. 

CALEB’S  POV: 

I was sitting here, totally bummed about Gianna not showing up, listening to Hailey blab on about herself, when in she walks.  Took only a heartbeat for me to recognize her, despite the change in her hair.  She looks so beautiful.  And scared. 

I gesture for her to come over saying, “Quiet Hailey,” to stop the annoying chatter coming from across the table.  When she starts sitting next to Hailey, giving me a wondering look, I reach out and grab her hand, pulling her around the table to sit next to me.  Noticing the guy who came with her, who is taking the seat next to Hailey, I give him a nod in greeting. 

Last Saturday on the phone, Gianna told me all about her new ‘friend’.

Hailey looks annoyed by Gianna’s appearance, but it’s not like I asked Hailey to visit me.  She up and did it all on her own.  I even remember telling her on the phone a couple weeks ago that I was expecting Gianna to visit today.  Hailey and I aren’t even really friends anymore.  I just call her when I’m bored and Gianna is unavailable to talk. 

Ignoring the other two people at the table, I pull Gianna into my chest, giving her the longest hug of my life. 

When she says, “You smell good,” I chuckle. 

She eventually pulls away, looking shyly down at the tabletop.  Wanting to break the silence, I grab the gift bag from under the table, ignoring Hailey’s scowl and the curious look on the guy’s face.  “This is for you, princess.”

Gianna takes the bag from me and places it on the bench between us.  Reaching in, she starts to pull out the painting.  Her surprised, “Oh,” doesn’t tell me much, but when she gives me a small smile and says, “I remember this.  It’s really good.  Thank you, Caleb,” I am relieved. 

Putting the painting facedown on the tabletop, she pushes a box of chocolates towards me, “I got you something too.”

Opening it up and scarfing down a piece of chocolate, I say, “Ian is going to be so jealous and I’m not sharing.”  Her laugh sounds so good.

“Anyways, like I was saying, Caleb--” Hailey begins.

I cut her off, not taking my eyes off of Gianna, “Hailey, go say ‘hi’ to Ian.”

“But, I came to visit you!” she exclaims. 

“And I thank you, even though I didn’t ask you to.  Now go.”  Glancing at Gage, I know it’d be rude to ask him to leave.  After all, he did bring my girl to me. 

Instead of going over to where Ian is leaning in close, talking to a girl that I thankfully don’t recognize, Hailey stomps off out of the room.   Guess she decided to go home.  Thank god.  I doubt my new visitors want to hear about the guy that went down on Hailey in the mall bathroom.  I know I didn’t enjoy the story. 

Fidgeting nervously, Gianna gestures to Gage.  “Caleb, this is my friend, Gage.”

Knowing that this Gage guy isn’t a threat to me, I hold out my hand to shake his.  He gives me grin, “Nice to meet you.  I’ll give you two some privacy.”  With that, he turns around on the bench, with his back to us and leaning against the edge of the table.  Not exactly what I’d call privacy, but It’ll have to do. 

Before I can say anything, Gianna says in a low voice, “I didn’t know you were still friends with Hailey.”  Her tone isn’t accusatory, but I can imagine her confusion at seeing Hailey here. 

Turning sideways on the seat to face her, I grab both her hands with mine, “We’re not really friends.  Actually, I think she dislikes me as much as I dislike her.”

Gianna’s “I see,” doesn’t sound like she's quite convinced. 

Wanting to change the subject, I lean in so that our foreheads are touching, “I’m glad you came.”

She looks down and mumbles, “Really?”

Tilting her chin up with two of my fingers, I make sure the guards aren’t looking and give her a small peck on the lips, “Of course.  I’ve missed you.  Six more months and we won’t have to be apart ever again.”

This time, when she says “Really?” she doesn’t look away and I see the glistening of tears in her eyes. 

Not giving a damn about any guards at that point, I move in to give her a real kiss.  I lose track of time, lost in her taste, her smell.  After I don’t know how long, a guard comes up behind us and clears his throat.  Reluctantly breaking away, I notice that Gianna looks flushed and is breathing hard.  The fact that she only tensed up a little during the kiss and didn’t pull away is reassuring. 

The guard walks back to his post against a wall and I squeeze Gianna’s hand, “Sorry.  I got a little carried away.”

She glances around the room, as if checking to see if anyone else saw us.  Looking at me, she softly asks, “You still want me like that?”

I pull her in for another hug, which is not against the rules, “I always have.  Nothing could change that.  I love you, Gianna.”

She pulls out of the hug, with an odd look on her face, “I’m not the same, Caleb.”

Reaching up, I finger a strand of her now shorter and darker hair, “Yes you are.”

She shakes her head and I notice that she‘s shaking a bit, “Is there a restroom I can use?”

I start to say, “The guard will show you . . .” and trail off when she jumps off the bench, heading straight for a guard near the door. 

Once she’s gone, I ask the guy that still has his back to me, “So, you’re Kara’s brother?”

He spins around in his seat, facing forward, “Yeah, so you’re the one who’s paying me?”

Shaking my head, I correct him, “No, that’s Ian.  I’m just the one who got a hold of Kara so that she could help find someone to enroll at Gianna’s new school.”  I point over to where Ian is stroking some chic’s leg.  “That guy over there is the one with the fat wallet.”

“I heard about what that Josh guy did to her,” he says with an uncomfortable expression on his face. 

Still pissed, but working with the prison psychiatrist to get past it, I angrily say, “Yeah, well next time I put that fucker in the hospital, I’ll make sure it’s the morgue part.”  In a tense voice, I warn him, “Listen, I only need you to watch out for her until I get out of here in August.  Under no circumstances are you to let her find out that Ian and I hired you.  If that happens, she’ll pull away from you.”

He holds his hands up in a gesture of surrender and leans back, “Hey, it’s no hardship, man.  I hated Broomfield High anyways, time for a change of scenery and all.”  He shrugs and the faint blush on his cheeks is anything but reassuring, “She’s fun to be around.  I like hanging out with her.”

Grabbing the front of Gage’s shirt, but backing off at his dark look, I say, “Just remember, you’re getting paid to look out for her, don’t be stupid enough to fall for her.  She’s my girlfriend and she’ll still be my girlfriend when I get out of here.”

GIANNA’S  POV:

Leaning against the stall door in the women’s restroom, I manage to breathe through my anxiety and prevent a full-blown panic attack.  I’m getting better at this.  Thankfully, I was able to get out of there before completely spazzing out in front of Caleb and Gage. 

At the sink in the bathroom, I wipe a finger under both of my eyes, fixing my slightly smudged eyeliner.  Before coming today, I put on makeup and did my hair, wanting to look pretty for Caleb.  When I picked out my outfit last night, I decided on a nice shirt, skinny jeans and ballet slippers. 

Leaving the bathroom, I get escorted by a guard back to visitation.  Guess they don’t want us wandering around this place alone.  Before going back to Caleb’s table, I go to say ‘hi’ to Ian.  I’m relieved when he gives me a warm smile and pulls me into a hug. 

“How you doing, honey?”  His concerned look is embarrassing.  I’m so tired of getting that look from people. 

“Really good,” I force myself to say cheerfully.  “I can’t wait till you and Caleb get out of here.”  So true, despite the anxiety I feel at the thought of facing Caleb in the real world again. 

Rubbing my back, he gestures to the girl still sitting across from where we’re embracing.  The girl who is glaring at me.  “This is my friend, uh, Lisa.”

“Hi,” I say, not sure what to do about the girl’s obvious bitchiness.  “Okay, well, see you later, Ian.”

“Next time you come,” Ian says with one last squeeze.  Funny, Ian and Caleb’s hugs aren’t bothering me as much as I would have thought.  However, the thought of more than that with Caleb has me wanting to hide in the bathroom again. 

As I near where Caleb and Gage are sitting, they seem to be in deep conversation.  I feel a burst of happiness because they’re so obviously hitting it off.  I want Caleb to like my new friend.

*************************************************************

Don't forget to VOTE and COMMENT! 

Be sure to check out the playlist for this story:  http://www.playlist.com/playlist/21705271563